Singapore Postal Code

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
jchoong

Singapore Postal Code

Postby jchoong » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:10 pm

I recall that 2-3 years ago, there was a project to put together Singapore's postal codes for use in conjunction with MFM. I left the Garmin scene for a while and lost track of this project. Obviously a lot of progress was made, as of today, search by postal codes can be made to locate most HDB and commercial buildings, but it does not cover private condos (or maybe only partially; I am not sure).

I find that searching by postal codes to be most useful and accurate - much easier than road search or POI search. A lot of free maps here have included postal codes, viz Google Maps, StreetDirectory. Garmin's Nav has it too. I am convinced that adding the complete postal code package to MFM will enhance its usefulness significantly - particularly in Singapore.

Question - how can we get permission to officially include postal codes into MFM maps? Presumably a license need to be obtained from SLA? Is it a one time fee or is it by annual subscription? Is it something that is affordable to MFM members (donations)? Or maybe if we approach SLA and share with them MFM's mission, they may license it to us FOC or for a nominal fee?

Any thoughts?
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

yaulim88
Valued Contributor

Re: Singapore Postal Code

Postby yaulim88 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 pm

jchoong wrote:I recall that 2-3 years ago, there was a project to put together Singapore's postal codes for use in conjunction with MFM. I left the Garmin scene for a while and lost track of this project. Obviously a lot of progress was made, as of today, search by postal codes can be made to locate most HDB and commercial buildings, but it does not cover private condos (or maybe only partially; I am not sure).

I find that searching by postal codes to be most useful and accurate - much easier than road search or POI search. A lot of free maps here have included postal codes, viz Google Maps, StreetDirectory. Garmin's Nav has it too. I am convinced that adding the complete postal code package to MFM will enhance its usefulness significantly - particularly in Singapore.

Question - how can we get permission to officially include postal codes into MFM maps? Presumably a license need to be obtained from SLA? Is it a one time fee or is it by annual subscription? Is it something that is affordable to MFM members (donations)? Or maybe if we approach SLA and share with them MFM's mission, they may license it to us FOC or for a nominal fee?

Any thoughts?

The lastest Garmin MFM map got postal code search. Please try to download here.
http://www.garmin.com.sg/mapupdate/
http://www.muarchunghwaosa.org/00-CHJB/jb2010cav.htm

Nuvi205 Nuvi57LM
GPSmap 60CSx
Nuvi1460

jchoong

Re: Singapore Postal Code

Postby jchoong » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:04 pm

I am already using this latest MFM 2012.20 map but the Spore postal codes are incomplete. Thus my question - using SLA's full postal codes.
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

Return to “Project Room”