Tide Stations in MFM crashes Mapsource

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Re: Tide Stations in MFM crashes Mapsource

Postby stratman2 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 pm

lwlim wrote:Hi,

If you need to get tide prediction works with MFM, you may use software such as PatchIMG to combine MFM mapset with bluechart tides mapset, if you don't need all the map in bluechart tides, you can selectively choose the map that you need and combine, the bluechart tides mapset are stored at C:\Garmin\BCPAC95\TIDES. I'd tried it and it works with my 60csx.

Regards

Thanks for the tip, bro lwlim. As it is, I'm already using the tide prediction map tiles combined with oceanographic maps for SE Asia together with MFM's gmapsupp image file (with WM/EM topo maps). I use bro Antz' ezIMG patching utility. The resulting combined gmapsupp file size stands at over 230MB - no problems with my Vista HCx. :thumbsup:

I'm just curious as to why the tide prediction stations are still included in MFM when they do not work and cause Mapsource a fatal error when it's already known that the map compiler that's being used can't support tide stations. :-?
cheers,

Stratman II

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 pm

limyc wrote:did some quick research and found that other devices can also produce tide prediction and here is one for the palm. i just downloaded an application for the mac and it works fine but have to check against published tables to verify.

http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidet ... nload.html

and the bounty of applications is here below.

http://ocean.peterbrueggeman.com/tidepredict.html

8-)

Thanks bro limyc, for sharing that wealth of information. :good: I used to have the tide prediction program for my Palm IIIc back in 2000 and stopped using it by the time I had my former Sony Clie T655C PDA in 2003. I think I'll download it again for my current Palm T|X, which has become a paperweight by now. :mrgreen:
cheers,

Stratman II

lwlim

Postby lwlim » Tue May 19, 2009 12:53 am

stratman2 wrote:Thanks for the tip, bro lwlim. As it is, I'm already using the tide prediction map tiles combined with oceanographic maps for SE Asia together with MFM's gmapsupp image file (with WM/EM topo maps). I use bro Antz' ezIMG patching utility. The resulting combined gmapsupp file size stands at over 230MB - no problems with my Vista HCx. :thumbsup:

I'm just curious as to why the tide prediction stations are still included in MFM when they do not work and cause Mapsource a fatal error when it's already known that the map compiler that's being used can't support tide stations. :-?

Hi,

Now I see the issue that you were talking about. Although it may cause confusion with your existing bluechart’s tide point, but I think the issue is not so critical because the number of tide point in MFM is fewer. It'll be great if it can be rectified. :)

Regards

limyc

Postby limyc » Tue May 19, 2009 1:10 pm

that is cool stuff =D> =D>

LLCC

Postby LLCC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:57 pm

Can Bluechart tide info be displayed on GMXT?

I could see that the BlueChart Pacific v2008.5 tides mapset is installed as a gmapsupp.img. But, I'm still unable to view the tide tables.

I've tried looking in Points of interest, even from a known tidal station in the map but cannot see the station, nor tidal information.

LL

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:56 am

LLCC wrote:Can Bluechart tide info be displayed on GMXT?

I could see that the BlueChart Pacific v2008.5 tides mapset is installed as a gmapsupp.img. But, I'm still unable to view the tide tables.

I've tried looking in Points of interest, even from a known tidal station in the map but cannot see the station, nor tidal information.

LL

No, bro LLCC...I don't think you can view tide info on GMXT devices or the automotive Nuvi series. Tide information is a feature available under "Find->Marine Points" in certain handheld outdoor GPS models and the models meant for shipping use. The Marine Points menu has the following sub-menus, which are hard-coded into the firmware:

1. Navaid (navigation aids)
2. Tides
3. Anchorage (mooring points)
4. Wrecks
5. Restricted (areas)

Bluechart is the marine equivalent of Garmin's City Navigator road maps, so it contains the above information for seafarers. Garmin never intended Nuvi or GMXT based GPSes to be used in e.g., yachting therefore the Marine Points are not programmed into them.

You can however, view Bluechart's Tide Stations in Mapsource but you need the individual map tiles which Mapsource recognizes, not the gmapsupp.img file. :thumbsup:
cheers,

Stratman II

LLCC

Postby LLCC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks for your explanation bro stratman2.

I've got tides working on my 76CSx. But since it is a bulky handset that I leave in the fishing box, I thought that it'd be neat to be able to view only tides from my handphone so I can pick the rod and go casting anytime the itch to cast hits me. I was delighted to see that the Bluechart Tides mapset is not lockable, so I thought I could save it into GMXT.

Well, it's back to the drawing boards to find a way to get the harmonics from Xtide to work on µTide for Symbian. Can anyone help? I've gotten µTide working on my phone but it's only got harmonics data for the EU.

Sorry for the OT!

LL

howiehhy

Postby howiehhy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Is there anyone who knows where I can find the tide table patch for BlueChart Pacific v9.5?

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:36 pm

umm.. can help me with a favour? I would like to predict the tides in Perhentian from 10 Sept to 12 Sept 2010.. going diving then :-)
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:57 am

The nearest Tide Station available in Bluechart Pacific v2008.5 is Sungai Besut (N5.83374 E102.61642) which is approximately 17KM away from Perhentian Island, and here is the data:
sg-besut-100910.png

sg-besut-100911.png

sg-besut-100912.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Return to “Project Room”