What NOT to record?
- Restricted areas such as military camps & airports
- Internal roads of flats, apartments, commercial buildings and government buildings (unless the building area is big or important such as hospitals or university campus)
- Short slip roads for turning left. Slip roads that are <50m from the actual junction are not needed
Reason? MFM's main focus is to create accurate routable maps. Sometimes, having too much data has adverse effect because:
- These roads don't play any role in making MFM map more accurate
- Waste of mappers' time mapping these roads
- When a slip road is present, Garmin & Papago will not announce "Turn Left" but "Keep Left"
- Additional efforts defining road direction and turn restrictions. Mistakes may be made making MFM map less accurate
- Potential routing inaccuracies - routing may use main junction instead of slip roads
- More routing nodes mean longer route calculation time