Road to Cameron Highlands

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
gpsnerd
Contributor

Re: Road to Cameron Highlands

Postby gpsnerd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Recently happened when i went down via Tapah route, as i was heading KL
personal experience the route is ok. some will horn approaching sharp bends, some don't.
overall still ok, as long as u drive slow at sharp bends.

User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:55 pm

ccwong wrote:hi,

need to feedback MFM PapagoX3 map for Tapah - Ringlet (Cameron highlands)...

i tested on 25th Dec 2009,
started my journey from Tapah to Ringlet, but the Papago directed me to ipoh highway - simpang pulai - cameron highlands - ringlet (about 140 km), but that time i was at Tapah, if i'm using Tapah - Ringlet normal road, it's only about 40 KM.

samething happen too when i back from Ringlet to Tapah, the papago directed me from tanah rata -> kg rajah - > simpang pulai - > tapah

thank you

Wong
:rox:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi

Just my two cents worth to open 2010:

I have went up to Cameron Highlands twice "recently", the first time via Simpang Pulai for the trip a couple of years back and the second time via Tapah in Oct 2009.

First trip we took Simpang Pulai because we were advised to use it due to it being less dangerous and less steep which makes for a less stressful drive. and i concurred whole heartedly. incidentally we stayed at equatorial so simpang pulai made sense then.

last year, in october we went up Tapah as we rented accomodation at Tanah Rata. It was curvy, steep and at times narrow. It wasn't raining until we almost reached tanah rata - quite stressful since this is the 1st time i drove up to CH via Tapah since like i was a child! It was interesting all the way up, but it does take the toll on you, especially if you're not used to tapah route. Quite stressful even though we drove strictly up to or below speed limit and followed all traffic rules to the "T".

the more experienced driver may either choose Simpang Pulai or Tapah based on preference. Whether via Simpanga Pulai or via Tapah, one thing is certain :

MFM map rocks and the customised POIs including Bro Stratman's traffic allerts (sharp bends, etc) and topo map helped a lot!!!!

surprisingly, i saw areas affected by landslides and slope strengthening process in progress on my way down via Simpang Pulai. Both times, landslides happened after i returned from Simpang Pulai route - this goes to show even if the route is considered "Safer" relative to Tapah route, there's no denying that a newly opened route with removed vegetation and landcover is prone to landslides in rainy season (of which we're getting a lot lately) and this reduce the "safe factor' of simpang pulai.

just my two cents.
:rox:
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

Return to “Project Room”