Ultra-Lite MFM Maps

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
shideen
Senior Mapper

Ultra-Lite MFM Maps

Postby shideen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:33 am

:-k This is just a suggestion.
How about once in a while, say every 3 months, we produce an Ultra-Lite Maps, which contains only roads & POI (including road POI).
Meaning we remove all polygons (except sea & rivers).
Customisation only for POI icon. Roads leave as default.
Nuvi200, 255W, GMXT on N5800, 60csx, Papago X3 (EastGear), Galactio V8

zamad
Valued Contributor

Re: Ultra-Lite MFM Maps

Postby zamad » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:40 am

I support this idea. It'll breathe a new life to my Palm T|X.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

ajay

Postby ajay » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:51 am

is it difficult to add this option when running the exe file? cozz i like this option as well =D>
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

shideen
Senior Mapper

Postby shideen » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Want to use this on 60csx. Bcos just use it when tracking. When combine with topo, perfect!
For nuvi, I still love to see the colourful map \:D/

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:07 pm

shideen wrote:Want to use this on 60csx. Bcos just use it when tracking. When combine with topo, perfect!
For nuvi, I still love to see the colourful map \:D/

Agree with you bro Shideen
Past + Present = Future

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Also agree ... ultra-lite on my HcX and full color on Nuvi :thumbsup:

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Not knowing of this thread, I posted my post below in a new thread, so I am stopping that thread and continuing here.

I use both the Nuvi as well as Vista for navigation when driving. Nuvi when I am in my own vehicle, and I have the charger plugged in. Vista when I take friends vehicle and/or when it is too inconvenient to protect the Nuvi against shock or rain. Also, the Vista battery lasts one full day.

When generating maps to the device, I find that there is no option to completely strip the map of all unnecessary colour & line clutter. Because of the Vista's small screen, it will tremendously help me to see the suggested route more clearly if the map does not have any colouring for the roads and no polygons at all, and have a plain white background without indications of plantations, forest, swamps, etc. Then the purple route line & my stored tracks in other colours will be more easily seen. This is especially important when I am approaching a junction and I need to quickly see exactly where the line makes a turn, etc.

Is it possible for there to be a version of the map where there is plain black road lines on a pure white background and the only other visible objects are the POIs and Waypoints? No polygons. No indications of swamps/fields/trees or other topographical features, etc. whatsoever.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

shideen
Senior Mapper

Postby shideen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:48 pm

It is very much possible. The key to this is our Big bro. He hold the MFM compiler :prayer:

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:55 am

Making an ultra-lite version or not does not have anything to do with who holds the compiler. It is a consideration of the extra work needed to do one plus the effect of it on the performance of other Garmin models, especially the newer models.

We have already taken advantage of Garmin's support for multiple map layers to create multiple map options to suit the varied requirements of our members. Currently, common polygons such as sea, river, forest, hospital, etc resides on the main map. Detail building and houses polygons are in another map. Having another ultra-lite versions means splitting the common polygons into another map. That means 11 more polygon maps (11 regions for M'sia, S'pore & Brunei) :ko: :ko: :ko:

Users who has selected to use all polygons may feel an additional lag since there is another map to process. For the new Nuvi 1460, I noticed screen redraw is already very sluggish. If I do all the hard work only for 1460 users to complain, I would go ](*,)

There is actually a way to customize display the way you want it. It is just a matter of learning how edit and created custom TYP files. You can basically make everything disappear. The guide is here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1603

Someone just need to create a TYP that suits the requirement for hand-held devices and share it here. I could probably pick it up and create an additional option to our gmapsupp maker.

So please help yourselves O:)

Return to “Project Room”