Fixing the continuous recalculation problem

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
soulquarianz

Re: Fixing the continuous recalculation problem

Postby soulquarianz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:10 pm

antyong wrote:Bro Moey, please set your Nuvi and GMXT to show "at gps location" i.e. turn off lock on road. Test and report the result.

if i set this will it stop the jumping to the other lane problem? coz theres certain road that it will suddenly show me on the other side of the road (not on navigation - set destination)
Kaiser with GMXT

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:40 pm

No, it will not solve your problem. Bro antyong is trying to troubleshoot our problem of re-calculating (car jumps over the other road) problems. You can also help to verify the problem by setting your GPS to 'Lock On Road' and 'At GPS Location' and report back your findings. A screen shot of your GPS during the error is most helpful. Thank you for your help... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:21 pm

Update

Tested with GMXT today with setting set to 'At GPS Location'. The car is shown traveling in the middle of the two roads.

Where :- P227 Bkt Gambir (N), J
Coordinate :- N5 20.660 E100 17.543
Common Sense Is Not Common.

76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Postby 76gpsguy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:59 pm

The below is my understanding and observation on the continuous route recalculation issue which I would like to share with all the Bros here.

Basically the continuous route recalculation issue which faced by the MFM and MSM maps users during navigation arise whenever there is route calculation (set new destination) or recalculation (due to detour or lost of satellite reception) at dual-carriageway area, GPS device tends to lock on opposite carriageway and try to direct you to a direction which is against your current driving direction. GPS device will treat this situation as detouring from the computed route and trigger route recalculation if you continue driving forward. GPS device again try to lock on opposite carriageway and trigger the next route recalculation. This process will keep on repeating and end up with continuous route recalculation until you are out from the dual-carriageway.

Continuous route recalculation will not occur at dual-carriageway if you follow actually the computed route, unless one of the below trigger the route recalculation:
a) Lost of satellite reception due to weak in satellite signal or instability of GPS device firmware or software (as reported by Bro WeiQi00).
b) Make a detour to a dual-carriageway.
c) Make a u-turn at dual-carriageway and drive against the computed route direction.
d) Set new destination at dual-carriageway.

Please find below sketch for your better understanding on how the continuous route recalculation happen at dual-carriageway.
Continuous Rote Recalculation -1.JPG

1) Assuming you are driving along a dual-carriageway and going to destination point D. When you reach point A, route calculation / recalculation trigger due to one of the above said situations.
2) GPS device calculate / recalculate new route and lock on point X instead of point A and try to direct you to your destination point D via X->Y->D instead of the correct route A->B->C->Y->D or A->B->C->E->F->D.
3) If you continue driving forward to point B which is against the new computed route direction, route recalculating will be triggered and GPS device again try to lock on opposite carriageway (assuming you still at dual-carriageway).
4) The above process (1)~(3) will be repeated and caused the continuous route recalculation as long as you still at dual-carriageway area.
5) Although your actual position is at point G, both carriageways are on your right, you may still face the same problem, i.e. lock on opposite carriageway -> route recalculation.

The below are some of the dual-carriageways at Selangor prone to continuous route recalculation.
i) Jalan Kinrara 5, Bandar Kinrara.
ii) Jalan Lagoon Selatan, Bnadar Sunway.
iii) Jalan Timur, Petaling Jaya.
iv) Jalan Subang Utama (next to flyover), Subang Jaya.
Continuous Route Recalculation - 2.JPG

Here is a tip for whoever would like to experience or carry out test for the continuous route recalculation. Try to set your GPS device map orientation to “North Up” so that your current position will be displayed at the centre of screen. This will make you easier to observe how your GPS device locks on opposite carriageway and direct you to a different direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WeiQi00
Polygon Mapper

Postby WeiQi00 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:33 am

For What I encountered, When my car turn right to dual-carriageway, my Nuvi will show the car Which was not locked on the exactly road but on the opposite road of the dual-carriageway. After a moment, my Nuvi will considered I was not follow his instruction :mrgreen: , so he started to recalculation... recalculation.... give me another instruction and asked me to turn left, turn right or U turn, lucky never ask me to fly over. but if When I still on this dual-carriageway, my brother "NUVI" will still show the car on the opposite road, May be he taught I driving on the road in Korea or taiwan :thumbsdown:
Anyway, for usually I encountered car will drifting to opposite road while my car is turning to dual-carriageway.
By right dual-carriageway has ONE WAY DIRECTION for both road ? Why my nuvi still can show my car lock on the opposite road ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:thumbsup:Our maps are FREE but we need funds to keep this site going. Please support our HOSTING FUND =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for your support. :tq:

76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Postby 76gpsguy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 am

WeiQi00 wrote:For What I encountered, When my car turn right to dual-carriageway, my Nuvi will show the car Which was not locked on the exactly road but on the opposite road of the dual-carriageway. After a moment, my Nuvi will considered I was not follow his instruction :mrgreen: , so he started to recalculation... recalculation.... give me another instruction and asked me to turn left, turn right or U turn, lucky never ask me to fly over. but if When I still on this dual-carriageway, my brother "NUVI" will still show the car on the opposite road, May be he taught I driving on the road in Korea or taiwan :thumbsdown:
Anyway, for usually I encountered car will drifting to opposite road while my car is turning to dual-carriageway.
By right dual-carriageway has ONE WAY DIRECTION for both road ? Why my nuvi still can show my car lock on the opposite road ?

For your case, try Bro antyong’s advice.
antyong wrote:Bro Moey, please set your Nuvi and GMXT to show "at gps location" i.e. turn off lock on road. Test and report the result.

vasan

Postby vasan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 am

Hi. I also encountered this problem at Persiaran Tujuan, USJ 3. I hope the following screen shots and info help to troubleshoot and solve the issue.
My Nuvi205W calculated route from point A to B, shown as purple line. But If I turn left instead and head to point C (yellow line), it will give me continuous 'recalculating' until I turn right.
In the device screen shot, note that my 'vehicle' is shown on the wrong lane.
Nuvi 205W only :(

WeiQi00
Polygon Mapper

Postby WeiQi00 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:25 am

continue my above Post, I have actually not follow the nuvi's route already, if I really want to follow it, may be others people will think that I am crazy :mrgreen: see picture below you will know. :D
:thumbsup:Our maps are FREE but we need funds to keep this site going. Please support our HOSTING FUND =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for your support. :tq:

mfm88

Postby mfm88 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:33 pm

I copied from an old thread "recalculating prob" in MSM : -

(I've made some experiment over the weekend.
I'm from singapore, the stretch of road is after I crossed the custom,turned left, along the coast, error started near dunga bay.

With March08 map, my car changed to opposite side of this 2 lane, both direction road, thus recalculting till 1 km later when it merged with the main highway.
This time, armed with Jerome's latest 3.72 map, I tried . OK !!! car stayed on track.
I replaced with Mar08 map, returned to starting point and go. Error again.

I do have older maps, e.g. June07 open, sep07 locked, and nov07 locked.Only sep07 map which I experienced same error when travelling this stretch of road before.

I've set destination at YongPeng, not deviating from route, kept to left lane.

Hope this can give clue to the mappers, which I suspect is due to compiler software.)

The example shows that by merely changing the Map, Recalculating problem solved.
No detour from route, unlikely to be satelite lost every trial, No setting change etc.

The Map makes the difference !
心远地自偏,心静自然凉

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:08 pm

antyong wrote:Bro Moey, did you set your Nuvi to show location "at gps location" or "on roads"?

:cry: my nuvi 760 can't set to lock on GPS location, it always lock on the roads.

Return to “Project Room”