Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Nuvi 1460

Postby silverbeauty » Wed May 26, 2010 5:05 pm

deluge23 wrote:Hi guys.

My Garmin nuvi 1460 arrived today and I am sure pleased with the 5' display. It's just huge! BTW I was wondering what should I choose for the GPS mode? Normal or MSAS/WAAS. I wonder what it means.
Use normal. Sin-Mal do not have MSAS/WAAS ground stations to support for better accuracy. Google for info on this

Any extra thing I should do? Currently updated my software to version 2.50 and awaiting for the malsingmap update (2010.20)
Open the manual and read it, play with your unit before attempting advance stuff. Read our library for more info

The new device also experiencing random shutdown while I was operating it. Perhaps it's because of the low battery? There is not even a single bar at the moment I turn it on upon unboxing it. I wonder will full charge prevent it?
As with any gadget with built in battery, charge it overnight to fully charge the battery.

BTW how long does it take to fully charge the device? I'm using the USB cable that is included as I do not have the AC adapter which I believe is an optional accessory.
USB port does limit the amount of current output so it will take longer to fully charge the Nuvi

deluge23

Postby deluge23 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.

BTW I got 2 more added question in my previous edited post.

I could only found the quick start manual. Is there any full manual to begin with?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 pm

deluge23 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

BTW I got 2 more added question in my previous edited post.

I could only found the quick start manual. Is there any full manual to begin with?

Unfortunately that is the only documentation that Garmin provides. They "assume" the end user has a certain amount of technical know-how to operate the unit in an efficient manner :-'

deluge23

Postby deluge23 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Or better say: They don't need to hire technical writer for the documentation. :lol: It's the first high end product (cost RM900+) that doesn't feature a proper full manual. Well I guess the operation is easy enough after spending quite a couple of minutes with it.

bluknight

Re: Garmin 1460 (multiple jcv maps)

Postby bluknight » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:02 am

JasonLee wrote:Just discovered that /Map folder in the SD card works as well (so long as it is in the root directory i.e. at the same level as the /Garmin folder). I decided not to have any maps in the internal memory and moved all my maps to my 8GB SD card leaving only the JCV files and basemap in the Internal memory. I now have more than 10 maps in the card and still plenty of memory capacity left. All the maps are available for selection through Tools>System>Map>Info. Very neat feature.

NOTE: This is for those who wish to store multiple maps into the SD:/Garmin folder that will also have jcv and lane assist whose files are stored in the SD:/Garmin/jcv folder. AND also for the brave trying something that may possibly brick their unit :tease:

There is the GarminDevice.xml file in the main memory:/Garmin folder that determines what file names, path, I/O etc in the device. Notice that you can put maps in the SD:/map directory but the maps will NOT have jcv or lane-assist. This also for maps placed in the Main:/Garmin/map folders. Unfortunately, only a max of TWO maps at a time can currently use the jcv files and it must be named gmapsupp.img. placed in either of the /Garmin folders. POSSIBLE SOLUTION ??

Use a text editor and look at the GarminDevice.xml file: The NMaps xml format does not have a BaseName slot. Thus the SD:/map folders can take anyname.img. Now if you want to put multiple maps into the SD:/Garmin/ folders with anynames.img using the jcv files in your 8G SD:/Garmin/jcv folders here's what you do: Within the SupplementalMaps remove the <BaseName>gsuppmap</BaseName> characters in the xml file. Now the SD:/Garmin will be like the Nmaps, taking any names. You can now store all your unl files in SD:/Garmin with other multiple maps there and it will use the jcv feature. And you do not have to touch your main memory pre-installed files (except this file!!)
Anybody brave enough to try and come back from the dead? Just be v careful - remove only those characters above at the correct location and type carefully. Otherwise you have no device and the usb comms will fail! :cry:
1460 Software2.50 GPS3.90 Basemap DEM NR 3.00 MalSing NT 2010.20 City Navigators NT 2010.10 AusNZ 2013.10 Europe NT2010.30 and NAmerica 2011.10 Also 2575RLM 2012 model

davidku

Postby davidku » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Glad that I found this post to show the difference between 1450 and 1460

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4710&start=220

I just realized that Nuvi 1450, is about USD $200, approx Rm 660 whereas 1460 model is Rm 999 cheapest. Since not much difference, I would get the 1450 which is Rm 300 cheaper.

If I buy from USA, may I know where I can get the Malaysia and Singapore maps loaded into my 1450 ?

Sorry, I am new to GPS and 1450 will be the first one I will buy. Thanks.

tks

Postby tks » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 pm

davidku wrote:If I buy from USA, may I know where I can get the Malaysia and Singapore maps loaded into my 1450 ?

You are already at the website!

skylab
Location: Shah Alam Nuvi 2465 (Nuvi 1490T-Retired) Nuvi 255W (retired) Nuvi 205W (retired)

Re: Garmin 1460

Postby skylab » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Hello All,

I've tried Khairij's method and so far no problem with my Nuvi1490T..
Anyhow, the POI is still cannot be seen during navigation
Will report on any findings...

Khairij wrote:Hi All,
I am new to this forum but have been using the MFM on my mobile XT.
I like to share how I manage to install the new MFM map.
I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 1460.
I have managed to load the MFM-Garmin 091012 and MFM POI 091012.
I have also loaded the MFM-CPOIv204.

I have just completed testing it by driving to and from Seremban and Kuala Pilah.
All alert work so does the audio alerts, which is much better than the tone on the Garnim XT.

On my unit on the ".System" folder (root directory) which is hidden folder there was a map file "gmapprom.img".
When this file was present I could not make the new map to work.
I deleted the file and save the "gmapsupp.img" to "gmapprom.img" and save it to the folder.
This made my system work without any problem.
The POI file was copied to the folder POI inside the Garmin folder as normally done.

I have just completed installing the MFM SpeedTraps Verssion 3.7 on the my nuvi and I will test it tomorrow.

If the problem was resolved earlier please do ignore my feedback here.

I just wanted to share.

Khairij

quaky

Postby quaky » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:24 pm

Just got the 1460 also.
I try to use a HTC charger output 1A to charge it overnight, but it didn't charge at all. Even thought it says it is charging on the screen.
Maybe I had it switched off while charging, I'm trying again 2night with it switched on.
Anyone knows how long it takes to charge fully?

I have MFM and speedtrap in the SD card \map and \POI all working. I didn't touch the device .system files.
I also used Mapsource to transfer POI & routes to the device and SD card. Both seems to work.

Everytime I start up it ask me if I want to copy data from the SD card to the device. Anyone knows what data it is refering to?
If you put the device near you ear, you can hear a constant noise coming from the speaker.

What I wish the device can do:
1. File explorer and management
2. Disable auto zoom.

badrol
Polygon Mapper

Postby badrol » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:53 am

quaky wrote:Everytime I start up it ask me if I want to copy data from the SD card to the device. Anyone knows what data it is refering to?

Since your POI data is located inside the SD card, the device will ask you to tranfer the date to internal memory so that when you take out the SD card, you can use the POIs as they are now reside in the internal memory.
ImageImageImage

Return to “GPS Devices”