How to contribute POIs & Tracks using Garmin Mapsource

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
jonkuek

Re: How to contribute POIs & Track by using Garmin Mapsource

Postby jonkuek » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm from Singapore, read through the FAQs and newbie lounge, got my Mapsource running and i would like to made contributions too. I'm using a Zumo on my bike and maps are Jerome Wee combined with MSM 2.30. I am very new to Mapsource, still trying to play around. I had got a Mapsource user manual in pdf format at about 900+KB, need to study on that too.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 am

J2EE wrote:...Mapsource recognise my 205w and I clicked on "Waypoints" and then "Receive". Error message that came out "There was a problem communicating with the Garmin device". I can send waypoints to my 205W but not receiving from the 205W.

Now, I am truly frustrated with this and did a lot of seaches to solve this problem. No luck. Anyone can lend a hand ? Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But, what the heck !

I had recently experienced the same problem, I tried to copy Nuvi:\Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx from Nuvi and tried to open that with Mapsource but the file seemed corrupted (also tried converting with GPSBabel but to no avail too). Finally, not knowing any other solution, I cleared all my data (favorites, trip logs via Tools > My Data) and that seemed to work (but until now I'm not sure whether this is the correct solution :-k ). But the downside is all previous data will be lost. :shock:

However, before you clear all data, for favorites, you can manually copy the favorites' lat/long by getting into Simulation mode, then Where To? Favorites > select POI >Show Map > Set Loc. Then click Where Am I? and manually copy My Location lat/long details in Mapsource.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

J2EE

Postby J2EE » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:17 am

dvpro, problem solved. YOu were right. A corrupted current.gpx file was the culprit. Deleted the file and the file was regenerated. Receiving from device is ok now. But I lost all my waypoints :cry:
Gray hairs are signs of wisdom if you hold your tongue, speak and they are but hairs, as in the young - Philo

Garmin Nuvi 1350
Papago X8 OEM SE on Passion OBU
M8 Papago on iPhone 3GS

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:36 am

J2EE wrote:...
But I lost all my waypoints :cry:

Hmmm.. you missed my last paragraph in my post? :-k

J2EE

Postby J2EE » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:45 am

dvpro wrote:
J2EE wrote:...
But I lost all my waypoints :cry:

Hmmm.. you missed my last paragraph in my post? :-k

No. I deleted the file earlier - before I read your post. Thanks for your help anyway.
Gray hairs are signs of wisdom if you hold your tongue, speak and they are but hairs, as in the young - Philo

Garmin Nuvi 1350
Papago X8 OEM SE on Passion OBU
M8 Papago on iPhone 3GS

76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Postby 76gpsguy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24 pm

dvpro wrote:
J2EE wrote:...Mapsource recognise my 205w and I clicked on "Waypoints" and then "Receive". Error message that came out "There was a problem communicating with the Garmin device". I can send waypoints to my 205W but not receiving from the 205W.

Now, I am truly frustrated with this and did a lot of seaches to solve this problem. No luck. Anyone can lend a hand ? Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But, what the heck !

I had recently experienced the same problem, I tried to copy Nuvi:\Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx from Nuvi and tried to open that with Mapsource but the file seemed corrupted (also tried converting with GPSBabel but to no avail too). Finally, not knowing any other solution, I cleared all my data (favorites, trip logs via Tools > My Data) and that seemed to work (but until now I'm not sure whether this is the correct solution :-k ). But the downside is all previous data will be lost. :shock:

However, before you clear all data, for favorites, you can manually copy the favorites' lat/long by getting into Simulation mode, then Where To? Favorites > select POI >Show Map > Set Loc. Then click Where Am I? and manually copy My Location lat/long details in Mapsource.

Hi Bro dvpro, you should try to open and examine your current.gpx with text editor, perhaps you can recover most of your data. :mrgreen:

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 pm

76gpsguy wrote:Hi Bro dvpro, you should try to open and examine your current.gpx with text editor, perhaps you can recover most of your data. :mrgreen:

Nevermind, in my Nuvi just casual data, not that important. In fact everything comes from Mapsource in PC. :tease:

mexec

Postby mexec » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:27 am

hi..im new in here..
im interested to contribute something in here..but there`s still unclear part when i read this "how to.."
i can follow the instuction till connect the gps unit with pc only..then im so blur..

1st : what is that Mapsource?..where can i get this?..is it the one in the free download area?..ezMS?..
2nd : how to make the route that i wan to edit?..

seriously i dont have any idea about it..pls someone help me here..

thanks in advance..

edit : btw im using garmin 760..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fancheng
Senior Mapper

Postby fancheng » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:17 am

mexec wrote:hi..im new in here..
im interested to contribute something in here..but there`s still unclear part when i read this "how to.."
i can follow the instuction till connect the gps unit with pc only..then im so blur..

1st : what is that Mapsource?..where can i get this?..is it the one in the free download area?..ezMS?..
2nd : how to make the route that i wan to edit?..

seriously i dont have any idea about it..pls someone help me here..

thanks in advance..

edit : btw im using garmin 760..

1. Please read MFM Map Installation Step by Step Guide

2. Transferring MapSource Data into Garmin

qwerty79

Postby qwerty79 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi, I'm still new in GPS, in fact just 2 days use the Garmin appp. I try to use Receive from Device, after I get press "ok" in Transfer Complete dialog box, I get error message

"some maps could not be opened because the following mapsource products are not installed MFM POI V1.36"

What this means? Shouls I install MFM POI V1.36? Where can I get MFM POI V1.36?

Return to “Library”