Garmin nüvi 200W

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Lalatbotak
Location: Seri Kembangan- Nuvi 610, Garmin etrex H,Lakatoo 1000

Re: Nuvi 200w screen cracked

Postby Lalatbotak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:49 am

gpsnerd
Contributor

Re: Nuvi 200w screen cracked

Postby gpsnerd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 am

buy another 2nd hand model and swap, would it be cheaper? :ko:
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

norazdicj

Re: Nuvi 200W - SET LOCATION option no longer available?

Postby norazdicj » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi,

Device : My good old Nuvi 200W Taiwan - Software Version 2.90
Issue : "cannot calculate route from the starting point..."

Description:

I went to Australia (Victoria) recently and downloaded Victoria's map from OpenStreetMap (OSM Australia) into my device (memory card). The Victoria map displayed OK in my device and I was able to search and locate the various locations in Victoria ("Where to").

However, when a destination was selected and "Go!" was hit, the device soon return and error message "cannot calculate route from the starting point.." (something like that)

My suspicion:

While the Victoria map seems to be displayed OK when I reached Melbourne, I suspect the last sattelite location registered/locked was still somewhere in Malaysia, therefore, "cannot calculate route" since no car can be driven across the sea!

Why I suspect so?:

Last time when I was in UK, I was able to "SET LOCATION" in UK even I was still in Malaysia (thus I could simulate a driving route in UK after installing UK's map while still in Malaysia).

However, now I cant find the "SET LOCATION" anymore and thought it should be fine/resolved when I reached Australia. Of course that was not the case.

I remember bringing my unit to the dealer last time and was told the software/firmware (?) already outdated, therefore he updated it. I only realised during last week trip to Australia that I was unable to "SET LOCATION" any more as the option seems to be no longer available (after the software update?)

What I have done so far after the incident:

I have updated the device using Web updater. It updated chipset and some british voice & text. But still I could not get back the option to "SET LOCATION" as I did have when I bought the device many years ago.

Could the "SET LOCATION" be the problem for not being able to "calculate the route.."? If this is so, then I may face the same issue if I bring the unit to Sabah/Sarawak, yes?

I really appreciate if any sifu, expert can shed me some lights or better still, guide me to resolve this issue. I had successfully used my sayang old Nuvi 200W in few countries abroad before that latest Australia trip last week.

Thanking you in advance.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:52 pm

norazdicj wrote:Hi,

Description:

I went to Australia (Victoria) recently and downloaded Victoria's map from OpenStreetMap (OSM Australia) into my device (memory card). The Victoria map displayed OK in my device and I was able to search and locate the various locations in Victoria ("Where to").

However, when a destination was selected and "Go!" was hit, the device soon return and error message "cannot calculate route from the starting point.." (something like that)

My suspicion:

While the Victoria map seems to be displayed OK when I reached Melbourne, I suspect the last sattelite location registered/locked was still somewhere in Malaysia, therefore, "cannot calculate route" since no car can be driven across the sea!

Why I suspect so?:

Last time when I was in UK, I was able to "SET LOCATION" in UK even I was still in Malaysia (thus I could simulate a driving route in UK after installing UK's map while still in Malaysia).

However, now I cant find the "SET LOCATION" anymore and thought it should be fine/resolved when I reached Australia. Of course that was not the case.

I remember bringing my unit to the dealer last time and was told the software/firmware (?) already outdated, therefore he updated it. I only realised during last week trip to Australia that I was unable to "SET LOCATION" any more as the option seems to be no longer available (after the software update?)

I have updated the device using Web updater. It updated chipset and some british voice & text. But still I could not get back the option to "SET LOCATION" as I did have when I bought the device many years ago.

Could the "SET LOCATION" be the problem for not being able to "calculate the route.."? If this is so, then I may face the same issue if I bring the unit to Sabah/Sarawak, yes?

I really appreciate if any sifu, expert can shed me some lights or better still, guide me to resolve this issue. I had successfully used my sayang old Nuvi 200W in few countries abroad before that latest Australia trip last week.

Thanking you in advance.

Did you try to put unit into simulation mode and set location ? If in simulation mode and you are unable to set location, then there is something wrong with your unit.

norazdicj

Postby norazdicj » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:38 pm

Dear Moderator, silverbeauty,

Thank you very much !! That "GPS Simulator" in "ON" mode will allow me to "SET LOC". Now I wont forget how to "SET LOC" anymore.

I think it was the MAP. Looks like OpenStreetMap (OSM) tak boleh pakai? Eventhough I "SET LOC" directly onto a street/freeway in Melbourne, the message still says "Unable to Calculate Route: No roads near starting point" when I tried to simulate a driving route to a selected destination nearby.

I try to upload the Victoria OSM here. ... oooppsss!! "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 1 MiB"

I then tried "SET LOC" Kota Kinabalu and then "Jurong, Singapore". (MFM-Garmin 120430 map). It works fine!!! I can simulate a driving route!!! Thanks for highlighting that "GPS Simulator ON mode" when trying to "SET LOC".

silverbeauty wrote:
norazdicj wrote:Hi,

Description:

My suspicion:

Why I suspect so?:

Thanking you in advance.

Did you try to put unit into simulation mode and set location ? If in simulation mode and you are unable to set location, then there is something wrong with your unit.

Return to “GPS Devices”