What to buy, Garmin or Papago? Which model to buy?

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
gonnaga

What to buy, Garmin or Papago? Which model to buy?

Postby gonnaga » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Good day to all! I'm new here, just registered few minutes ago. Last week I used my friend's PAPAGO! R6300T X8 and found it interesting driving in Kuala Lumpur with the help of a GPS. Hence I'm thinking to buy one. The questions are, which make and which model to buy; of course I would opt for the latest model. I went to a dealer and found that it offers few makes, namely papago (Z1), garmin and wayway. This made me confused. Please advise me. TQ in advance

gpsbbe

Re: What to buy, Garmin or Papago? Which model to buy?

Postby gpsbbe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Garmin :thumbsup:
“ Garmin – A Word Leader In GPS ”

simseair
Valued Contributor

Postby simseair » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 pm

I would not touch a Papago. For the Papago I have in my Mazda 2, the zooming feature is very limited. It can be zoomed to a few levels only. For the Garmin, I could zoom back to view a whole city, a whole state, a whole country, if needed. The Papago screen always show the "Where To" icon. I do not know how to get rid of it. Just imagine if you wanted to see the map without clutter and there is an irritating icon there all the time. Also, when I turn off the volume, there is another icon on the screen which showed the sound turned off all the time. Why should the icon be there all the time? It is totally useless. There are a few other features that irritate me. The map graphic is very plain compared with the Garmin. I find the features not intuitive to use. After a while, I just gave up on Papago. Never liked Papago. Maybe some other users have better experience.

Eii

Postby Eii » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Me... Garmin :thumbsup:

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor

Postby darthobiguan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 am

A lot of people repeatedly says that Garmin is much easier to use. I have use both before and I concur with them too.

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Stick to Garmin if you do not want headache.. it may cost a bit more but no regrets. You can get free maps of almost most city around the world. I cannot say for the other makes. With BaseCamp you can create routes and even make your own uncharted tracks with the help of Googlearth for routes that do not appear in your maps.

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 am

If "Search Engine" is one of your priorities - go for PAPAGO!

Return to “Newbie Lounge”