How to Customize MFM map icons, polygons and road display

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Postby 76gpsguy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:03 am

Currently, MFM map installer able to generate MFM map sets for MapSource and Garmin GPS devices / software with 2 map display customizations, i.e. Full Customization and Original Roads / Custom POI Only for user selection. The setting of map display customization is not saved in individual map tiles, instead it is saved in a custom TYP file, i.e. MFMFC.typ for Full Customization and MFMPC.typ for Original Roads / Custom POI Only Customization. These 2 custom TYP files can be located in folder C:\Garmin\Malfreemaps. However, only one of them is used by MapSource and to combine with individual map tiles to form the gmapsupp.img map set. Which TYP file will be used depend on user selection during map set installation.

Can I customize MFM map display to my own preference on MapSource and Garmin GPS devices / software?
The answer is YES. What you need to do is just edit the MFM custom TYP file to your own display customization setting.

Here is a guide on how to edit the MFM custom TYP file with online TYP file editor. You can customize the display of the following types of map element with this online editor:
a) POIs - Customize images for day and night display.
b) Lines (roads, highways, streams, ....) – Customize width, border, pattern and colors for day and night display.
c) Polygons – Customize draw order, pattern and color for day and night display.

Detail Step-by-Step Guide:
1) Install MFM map set in the folder C:\Garmin\Malfreemaps.

2) Edit MFM custom TYP file/s, ie MFMFC.typ and/or MFMPC.typ (located in C:\Garmin\Malfreemaps).
    a) Open MFM custom TYP file/s with this Online Editor for Garmin TYP Files. Please follow below guideline to determine which TYP file to be edited.
    • MapSourece => Full Customization & gmapsupp.img => Full Customization, then edit MFMFC.typ only.
    • MapSourece => Full Customization & gmapsupp.img => Road POI Only, then edit both MFMFC.typ & MFMPC.typ.
    • MapSourece => Original Roads & gmapsupp.img => Full Customization. then edit both MFMFC.typ & MFMPC.typ.
    • MapSourece => Original Roads & gmapsupp.img => Road POI Only, then edit MFMPC.typ only.
      1 - Main page.JPG

The online editor divides the custom TYP file into 4 sections, i.e. i) Header; ii) Polygons; iii) Lines & iv) Points / POIs.
      2 - 4 sections.JPG

b) Header Section - Do not alter any setting under this section.
      3 - Header.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by antyong (retired) on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title - Antyong

76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Re: Guide on Customization of MFM Map Display for Beginners

Postby 76gpsguy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:04 am

c) Polygons Section
    Under this section, you can change the following display settings:
      i) Draw order – Define polygon display order. Lower draw order polygon will be displayed first compare with higher draw order polygon. Please note that all the polygons on MFM map have being drawn by polygon mappers in accordance with the MFM Mapping Guideline, therefore try not to alter any polygon Draw Order setting or polygons may not be displayed properly.
      ii) Color mode – Select color mode for polygon. Besides solid colors, you also can have polygon with pattern for day and night display.
      iii) Colors – Define foreground & background colors for day and night display. Color code shall be entered as hexadecimal RGB value.
      iv) Pattern – You can define and draw your own polygon pattern under Bitmap Editor if you selected any bitmap under color mode.
    4 - Polygons.JPG

d) Lines Section
    Under this section, you can change the following display settings:
      i) Color mode – Select color mode for day and night display. Besides solid colors, you also can have line with pattern for day and night display.
      ii) Rendering of slanted lines.
      iii) Bitmap height

- If bitmap height equal to 0, the line will be displayed in solid color with border. The width and border can be defined under Line style.
        - If bitmap height greater than 0, you can define the pattern of line under bitmap editor.
      iv) Color – Define foreground & background colors for day and night display. Color code shall be entered as hexadecimal RGB value.
    5 - Lines.JPG

e) Points/POIs Section
    Under this section, you can upload images as POI images for day and night display. The ideal size of image is 16x16 ~ 18x18. If only day image uploaded then it will be used as night image as well.
    6 - POIs.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 76gpsguy on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Re: Guide on Customization of MFM Map Display for Beginners

Postby 76gpsguy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:04 am

f) After you have made all the changes, download and save the new display customization setting by clicking the Download TYP file at the end of webpage.
      7 - Save.JPG

3) Effect the new map display customization setting on MapSource and Garmin GPS devices / software.
    i) Uninstall MFM map set by double-click C:\Garmin\Malfreemaps\unins000.exe.
    ii) Reinstall MFM map set as usual.
    iii) Hold the generation of gmapsupp.img when the “Do you wish to create a gmapsupp.img?” message appears on screen.
      gmapsupp.JPG
    iv) Replace MFMFC.typ and MFMPC.typ at your installation folder (default is C:\Garmin\Malfreemaps) with your amended TYP file/s from step (2) above.
    v) Press “Yes” button to continue the generation of gmapsupp.img and proceed as usual.

Now you can have MFM map with your own display customization on MapSource and Garmin GPS device / software. :peace:

big_bro
Polygon Mapper
Location: Kuala Lumpur(mobilext, garmin 60csx, thales, topcon)

Re: How to Customize MFM map icons, polygons and road display

Postby big_bro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:42 am

Bro, what is the best setting for good display in gmxt (pda)

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:21 am

big_bro wrote:Bro, what is the best setting for good display in gmxt (pda)

If you're referring to Full / Partial / None Customizations when generating GMAPSUPP.IMG, it really depends on your visual preference. For thicker roads (w/out outlines) which is recommended for Nuvi and GMXT, opt for Partial. Otherwise, select Full Customization.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

ahmoy

Postby ahmoy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:34 pm

the given link "http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi" seems to be always down... is there other any alternatives other than this website?

Return to “Library”