Tips for first time Nuvi users

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
2uk3y

Re: Tips for first time Nuvi user

Postby 2uk3y » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:38 pm

there is 1 tips missing..... :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Postby fauzee » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:19 am

anybody can tell me how to read this functions coz it seem like digital compass is it? #-o :-k :-k when u driving at daylight period, u'll see moon and sun.. :peace: :peace:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:01 am

Dear All

i'm a newbie. I just took the plunge and purchased a Nuvi255W lon March 28 2009. I didn't discover this forum until a few days later. This particular thread is very useful. It helped me to get more out of my Nuvi instead of just following the manual to the T and all the tips given here, were never mentioned in the manual at all.

I'll be lurking in the newbie lounge picking up and absorbing as much knowledge as possible.

I gotta thanks my friend CWYAP for introducing me to this hobby - it's pretty intruiging, challenging and exciting! I'm hooked on it and i "blame" it for this.. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much.
:good:
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:16 am

Welcome thomashley!
Hope you have a good time here.
If you got any problems, feel free to search or ask the members in mfm.
This is a good new hobby for you!
Later on you can try to learn to track after you tweak your Nuvi..
:thumbsup:
Past + Present = Future

ngan57

Postby ngan57 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie and plan to drive up to Cameron highland over the weekend. I own Garmin 205 and I have tried to key in the address number of times but it say no match found. Can anyone pls enlighten me the steps by steps entry. The address is Lot 42, Jalan Masjid, 39000 Tanah Rata Cameron Highlands Pahang, Malaysia.

badrol
Polygon Mapper

Postby badrol » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:00 pm

ngan57 wrote:Hi everybody, I'm a newbie and plan to drive up to Cameron highland over the weekend. I own Garmin 205 and I have tried to key in the address number of times but it say no match found. Can anyone pls enlighten me the steps by steps entry. The address is Lot 42, Jalan Masjid, 39000 Tanah Rata Cameron Highlands Pahang, Malaysia.

Sorry bro, you can only search the road name only (not full address yet, our map not that avance)

Jalan Masjid is in the map (N4 28.288 E101 22.808). The Nuvi will lead you to Jalan Masjid. Frm there, you need to search the address yourself.
ImageImageImage

ngan57

Postby ngan57 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks bro

mkv

Postby mkv » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Newbie here. Just bought the 255W 2 week ago. I have 2 question:

1) How can I select a midpoint before the final destination?
2) Can I configure a waypoint or favorite to alert me when is 400m proximity?

Thanks in advance :)

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:40 pm

hi mkv,

1. You select your 'via point' (I assume that is what you meant by midpoint) the same as how you selected your destination. First select your destination. Then select your viapoint(s). When asked whether this (new) point is your destination or via point, select via point.

On my nuvi 205W, I have successfully included several viapoints between my start point and the destination, to force it take a certain route. I do not know what is the max limit to viapoints. However, if you get your sequence wrong, you have to erase the planned route and start all over again.

2. I have never had the need to do alerts for viapoints because they are represented as a 'red flag' on the nuvi. Also, there's always 'the voice' to alert me. I suppose if you do have MapSource, you could edit your viapoints and include your radius (0.4km) in the Proximity field, save them, and transfer them to your nuvi. If you want to experiment with audio, then you can also read http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2007&start=0
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

mkv

Postby mkv » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:21 pm

zamad wrote:hi mkv,

1. You select your 'via point' (I assume that is what you meant by midpoint) the same as how you selected your destination. First select your destination. Then select your viapoint(s). When asked whether this (new) point is your destination or via point, select via point.

On my nuvi 205W, I have successfully included several viapoints between my start point and the destination, to force it take a certain route. I do not know what is the max limit to viapoints. However, if you get your sequence wrong, you have to erase the planned route and start all over again.

2. I have never had the need to do alerts for viapoints because they are represented as a 'red flag' on the nuvi. Also, there's always 'the voice' to alert me. I suppose if you do have MapSource, you could edit your viapoints and include your radius (0.4km) in the Proximity field, save them, and transfer them to your nuvi. If you want to experiment with audio, then you can also read http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2007&start=0

Thanks for your reply. I created some viapoint using route in mapsource. However, I can't find and activate this route in my 255W

Return to “Newbie Lounge”