How to add custom waypoint symbols onto Mapsource

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

How to add custom waypoint symbols onto Mapsource

Postby antyong (retired) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:14 am

1. Save your icon file in bitmap (.bmp) format

2. Copy the file to "My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols" folder

3. Rename your file. File names from 000.bmp to 063.bmp are recognized by Mapsource. This means you can add up to 64 custom symbols :thumbsup:

4. Now open your Mapsource. You will find your custom symbol at the bottom of the symbol list of the Waypoint Properties dialog
customicon.png

Note: Custom waypoint symbols work only on Mapsouce. They will not be transferred to your Garmin device.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

J2EE

Re: How to add custom waypoint symbols onto Mapsource

Postby J2EE » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:38 pm

antyong wrote:Note: Custom waypoint symbols work only on Mapsouce. They will not be transferred to your Garmin device.

Anthony, How do we transfer it to Garmin ?
Gray hairs are signs of wisdom if you hold your tongue, speak and they are but hairs, as in the young - Philo

Garmin Nuvi 1350
Papago X8 OEM SE on Passion OBU
M8 Papago on iPhone 3GS

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:01 am

J2EE wrote:
antyong wrote:Note: Custom waypoint symbols work only on Mapsouce. They will not be transferred to your Garmin device.

Anthony, How do we transfer it to Garmin ?

As I have already mentioned, the custom symbols work on Mapsource only.

xImage may be able to upload custom waypoint symbols. I don't think it supports Nuvi :-k Try it at your own risk :mrgreen:

joechong

Postby joechong » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:46 pm

antyong,
stupid question, if the waypoint custom images cannot be transferred to garmin, how come the malfreemaps has all those custom images displayed accordingly in the Garmin display e.g. shell, petronas, public bank etc?
Garmin Mobile XT 5.0.50 on Nokia N97 with MFM Lite
Garmin Mobile XT 4.18.0 on Nokia N95 with MFM Lite
Garmin Nuvi 760 US Ver with MFM

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:14 pm

joechong wrote:antyong,
stupid question, if the waypoint custom images cannot be transferred to garmin, how come the malfreemaps has all those custom images displayed accordingly in the Garmin display e.g. shell, petronas, public bank etc?

Those icons were coded and added into our maps.

map1629

Postby map1629 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:12 am

To transfer to garmin, see if below link help:

http://freegeographytools.com/2008/crea ... ps-units-i

xiang
Valued Contributor

Postby xiang » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:28 am

antyong wrote:
joechong wrote:antyong,

Those icons were coded and added into our maps.

Bro Antyong,

Our MFM maps icons ( shell, Petronas, etc ) didn't show in my kenwood kna g431 ( using Garmin software ver 3.9 ( latest ), Do you have any idea on enable it ?

and even trafic light too :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thanks for your supports. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
even Without JV, MFM Garmin MAP still the BEST !!!

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:29 am

xiang wrote:Bro Antyong,

Our MFM maps icons ( shell, Petronas, etc ) didn't show in my kenwood kna g431 ( using Garmin software ver 3.9 ( latest ), Do you have any idea on enable it ?

and even trafic light too :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thanks for your supports. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No idea. I don't have anything to test on :)

Waynelysha

Postby Waynelysha » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:54 am

Dear GPS brothers,
I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 550 since last year. I am from Malaysia but I live in Dubai. Almost immediately I switched from the preloaded MalSingMap to MalFreeMap when I'm in Malaysia for obvious reasons. However in the Middle East I have no options other than the Garmin NT maps, and at the pace of the constructions going on here, changes are on daily basis. Even the latest maps are outdated. I have a few questions of which I need some help and assistance from our seniors and knowledgeable sifus here even though it includes the thread topic, it goes deeper than that.
How and where indeed would someone who wants to learn about GPS mapping start? I have been studying Mapsource a few weeks now and I find it is not actually a GPS Map Edit program, it simply won't allow you to modify the map. While getting totally lost on the more technical GPS Map Edit program, I know I need more than internet research and books and manuals. I need a teacher/mentor/sifu !!!
So far looking for likeminded guys/gals over here, last updated around 2007 in Mapcenter, and none answering emails.
I don't need spoonfeeding, I just need a point in the right direction. So if any of seniors like bro Antyong, for instance, where do I start if I want to be able to edit the road in front of my house, the gate and lanes in my compound for starters, then mesh it with the Garmin map before generating my own img file.
Then maybe it'll be nice to know how to encode into the maps the traffic lights/petrol stations etc.
So, what books should I get? What websites should I visit? Anybody I should meet?
Thanks.

saujanacom
Polygon Mapper

Postby saujanacom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:03 am

Waynelysha wrote:Dear GPS brothers,
I don't need spoonfeeding, I just need a point in the right direction. So if any of seniors like bro Antyong, for instance, where do I start if I want to be able to edit the road in front of my house, the gate and lanes in my compound for starters, then mesh it with the Garmin map before generating my own img file.
Then maybe it'll be nice to know how to encode into the maps the traffic lights/petrol stations etc.
So, what books should I get? What websites should I visit? Anybody I should meet?
Thanks.

bro Waynelysha,
Only mappers are able to edit the map, the other members only share and contribute the POIs by giving information like POI name, it coordinates and it categories. For adding road in the map, we just record the road by tracking it using our GPS devices like Garmin or PAPAGO and send the tracklogs to this forum. The MFM mappers like sunn and OngCC will draw them and add into the map. We the contributors only wait for the next release to download the updated map to see and check whether our POIs and road are added and give feedback if any.

But if you need to add your own POIs into only your own map, you can use POI Loader software. We call them 'Custom POI'. You can search the custom poi topics HERE
:welcome: :tq:
9W2ICT - SCORE - 9M4RSC (146.600)

Return to “Library”