MFM Papago X2 map

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum

Do you support MFM releasing Papago maps?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:02 am

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 136

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

MFM Papago X2 map

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:02 am

Dear members,

MFM had been invited to compile Papago X2 maps. We will be given Papago's official compiler and full range of tools. We will have the freedom and control as to when and how to release our Papago maps. Our mapping team is excited with this proposal because of several benefit.

Major Benefits
  • Sharing our hard work with non-Garmin users
  • Create more competition for Garmin which will hopefully result in better price and features from Garmin
  • Allows us to start accumulating data for the newest navigation features such as lane assist, junction view and 3d buildings. When our Garmin compiler supports these new features in the future, we already have the data

However, due to the different business philosophy between Papago and Garmin, I need to clarify several matters to avoid any misunderstanding later.
  • While Garmin offers the combination of hardware, software and maps to buyers. Papago is purely the navigation software which is available for licensing.
  • To protect their on map data, Papago licensee usually requests for special versions where their devices can only read their own map. In this case, I am not sure whether our maps will be able to be used by buyers of devices sold by these companies
  • Our philosophy is making free maps available for any major navigation platform and we do not side any particular party. We will compile Papago maps for any party that approaches us
  • I had been assure that the Papago maps that we compile will be able to run on most legal Papago devices and softwares. However, at the current moment, I have no way to verify this assurance. So if we go ahead, we go ahead in good faith.

Your comments are much appreciated.

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby johnTan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:02 am

:thumbsup:

kekhoo
Valued Contributor
Location: Tmn. Duwang, Penang (60CSx, Nuvi 660, Nuvi 5000x2), Papago R5800.

Postby kekhoo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:27 am

:thumbsup: :peace:
New in the family (Papago R5800)

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 am

Correct me if I am wrong, Papago and Mapking are products of the same company but marketed differently, Will MFM maps support both platform ?

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 am

antyong wrote:Our philosophy is making free maps available for any major navigation platform and we do not side any particular party.
I'm all for it! :rox: :champ: :thumbsup:
http://flavors.me/nyem

ss173b

Postby ss173b » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:51 am

Horay! Horay! Horay!

zuree
Valued Contributor

Postby zuree » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:59 am

yes..but we have to works double on mapping works and garmin also have to works double on their graphic to compete with Papago interface :mrgreen:

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 am

no problem with me :thumbsup:

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:55 am

silverbeauty wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, Papago and Mapking are products of the same company but marketed differently, Will MFM maps support both platform ?

I believe the relationship between Papago and Mapking has changed. I think Mapking will release their own software.

Our philosophy for offering free maps has also changed. We no longer agree to tie our free map to Mapking's paid map and help them sell their maps.

Mapking will cooperate with MSM. They may offer us their compiler but I doubt if we can come to an agreement due to our philosophy not to let anyone take advantage of our free maps.

badrol
Polygon Mapper

Postby badrol » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:03 am

as long as the map is free & our postion is not compromised, then go for it. :peace:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Community Hall”