Tips for first time Nuvi users

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
zamad
Valued Contributor

Re: Tips for first time Nuvi users

Postby zamad » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:47 pm

No harm done, and not to worry. I made the same mistakes you did...
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

joechong

Postby joechong » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:15 pm

joechong wrote:Bro Zamad,

Thanks for the tips. Had been reading diligently the newbie section, so hopefully can master the device soon. For now, I'm just using Garmin Mobile XT on my Nokia N95. But am expecting my new purchase of Nuvi 760 soon.

I actually found the answer to my questions after googling the functionality that I want. Just wanted to update everyone here on how its done.

1. In Garmin Mobile XT, go to Tools->Manage My Data.
2. Once you're in the "Manage My Data" screen, select Manage (listed as an option on the bottom left)
3. Here you will see 2 options, "Import GPX" and "Export GPX"
4. Select "Export GPX" and it'll export all the POIs/waypoints/tracks etc
5. Connect your phone device to the computer using USB cable.
6. Fire up MapSource, and select the "Receive From Device" option (an icon in the middle of the menu bar)
7. Click on Find Device, and it should find the Garmin Mobile XT connected to it.
8. Check on the Waypoints and Tracks checkboxes (these are the items you normally want to import)
9. Click OK, and you should be able to see your waypoints/POI in Mapsource.
Garmin Mobile XT 5.0.50 on Nokia N97 with MFM Lite
Garmin Mobile XT 4.18.0 on Nokia N95 with MFM Lite
Garmin Nuvi 760 US Ver with MFM

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Identical procedure to that of the Palm TX running GMXT! Could've assisted you on that if I had realised earlier that you were also using GMXT.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Nuvi Satellite Status Page Explained

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:08 am

Here is an interpretation + illustration on the Garmin Satellite Status Page Contents

Note :
This is with reference to my Nuvi 660. There are differences in the layout between other Garmin models.

- Top green bar of screen shows the current accuracy the Nuvi. It is now reporting an accuracy to within 11M.

- Bars on the right corner of screen is the respective satellite vehicle numbers and their signal strength.
* Hollow bar indicate that your GPS starts to receive data from a respective satellite vehicle.
* Solid bar indicates that the "ephemeris" data can be used to give a "pseudorange" to calculate a position

- The left corner of screen shows the constellation of satellite's that your nuvi is seeing in the sky.

- Solid green icons with numbers are the satellites that the nuvi is locked onto

- Solid gray icons are the satellites that the nuvi can see but can't lock on to

- Flashing icons ( grey/green ) are ones that the nuvi is attempting to lock on to

- Gray / Green cons shown represents the satellite vehicle position in the sky with respect to your present location

- Small round icon with the red center is the direction of your vehicle facing / travelling

- Sun (yellow star burst ) icon is the position of the sun with respect to your present location

- Moon ( blue crescent ) icon is the position of the moon with respect to your present location

- Numbers in the top left of satellite constellation box is your current speed (0.0 if your stationary)

- Numbers in the top right of satellite constellation box is your current elevation

- Numbers in the bottom left are your current location (Latitude and Longitude)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ethan_tiow

Postby ethan_tiow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:43 am

is it nuvi 205w just can save 500 favorite ?

if full is it need to delete some point ?

if i still like to keep that point, how can i do ?

can save to pc ?

if can save in pc is it can over 500 point ?

im new.. hope some one can teach me.

thanks!!

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:47 am

ethan_tiow wrote:is it nuvi 205w just can save 500 favorite ?

if full is it need to delete some point ?

if i still like to keep that point, how can i do ?

can save to pc ?

if can save in pc is it can over 500 point ?

im new.. hope some one can teach me.

thanks!!

Bro ethan_tiow, you will need Garmin Mapsource to transfer the personal favorites to your PC / Lappie. You can also transfer those favorites in your PC / Lappie back to your GPS. The limit is the limit of your hard-drive capacity.

If you do not have mapsource, please refer to this link viewtopic.php?f=28&t=735

ethan_tiow

Postby ethan_tiow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:39 pm

thanks bro silverbeauty !!

anyone know where have teach how to make the poi by muself ?

can u teach me ?

jwschow
Location: Klang Valley and occasionally else where... (nüvi® 205, E66 GMXT & Sports Tracker)

Postby jwschow » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:49 pm

hi guys...

anyone ever tried to change the date on the nuvi? can't seem to be able to locate anywhere to change it :-k ...i can change the time though...
Julian C.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 pm

jwschow wrote:hi guys...

anyone ever tried to change the date on the nuvi? can't seem to be able to locate anywhere to change it :-k ...i can change the time though...

Date and Time are determined by satellite and not user setable. Get satellite lock and it will auto-update date and time. The only thing you can change is the time zone and this should correspond to the one you are currently in now.

For Singapore and Malaysia, select Hong Kong.

tiensheng
Valued Contributor

Postby tiensheng » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:56 pm

just got myself a nuvi 200w ... quite impressive lolz~
although bought a bit expensive ...
no regret :x
=P~