Tips for first time Nuvi users

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
simedarby

Re: Tips for first time Nuvi users

Postby simedarby » Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 pm

i'm totally new to Garmin, and i'm getting one - 255W by this Saturday.
i travel quite a lot as job requirement (photographer) and have location photos. I wonder how i can contribute those photos to this forum. Is it using Mapsource?

i try to digest newbie forum as much as i can but since i haven't touch the garmin yet, a lot of instruction here is alien to me... heh.. some make me confuse too.

simedarby

Postby simedarby » Tue May 05, 2009 5:50 pm

btw, can 255W use SDHC card? i tried to buy 4GB SD card, all of them only come with SDHC nowsaday.

leekong09

Postby leekong09 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:29 pm

I am a new 255W owner and have downloaded and installed the latest mfm maps. I am puzzled by the "Where to?" "Address" search function of the unit. It very often returns with a "No matches found" even a valid city and road name are entered for the search. E.g. Jalan Kuchai Lama in Kuala Lumpur, the road can be found in the map, but it cannot be found by either "Spell City" or "Search All" functions. Many other addresses search are working perfectly.
I hope someone can assist. Thanks.

douloi81

Postby douloi81 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:20 pm

If you are using Malsingmaps, you search for address by "Where to > Points of Interests > SPELL NAME". If you are using mfm maps, then the sequence is "Where To > ADDRESS > Click Region > Malaysia > Search All". I am wondering, for the mfm version, is there a quicker way to search for an address? And when I view the world map, names are in chinese characters. I've just bought a Nuvi 255w from Taiwan. Anyone can enlighten me? Thanks all.

Yiba

Postby Yiba » Mon May 18, 2009 1:28 pm

Im new user for Nuvi200, i tryed press and hold the GPS signal indicator.. but nothing happen? Is my device "too old" for this function? :-? And also some times it take very long time to acquire satellites, is this normal? or is because mine is Nuvi200? :-?

leekong09

Postby leekong09 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks douloi81. After reading your suggestion and some earlier posts in Malsing, I found that for 255W with mfm or Malsing maps it is more reliable to search for an address by "Where To? > Points of Interest > Spell Name", although the search may take a little longer.
A search by "Where To? > Address" always returns with "No matches found". Any newbie who repeatedly fails to search for an address will most likely give up using his/her GPSr.

yuloon

Postby yuloon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:18 am

hi guys, I am from kuching and i am a very very newbie here as i just bought my nuvi 205 today only! i was introduced from my housmate about it and getting interested in buying it to avoid all the nightmares of getting lost and afraid to go around peninsular area especially klang valley area.

i was introduced by the seller about this forum and i am quite stunned of seeing the softwares, functions and knowledge the gps device can utilized of and develop by ourselves. looking forward to learn much from u guys!

anyway, i am doubt about the variety types of softwares and map versions available in this link, is it all the softwares and map version will integrated by itself without delete the old maps and softwares? sorry for giving troublesome to u all by asking this question. hope i can contribute to this link as well after i learn from u all and contribute in sarawak and sabah maps as i will travel around when i have a long holiday in end of the year. thanks for the reply!

KennySK

Postby KennySK » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:06 am

hello people, this forum is superb, excellent work on the maps! thanks heaps.
i'm a noob too, been using a 255w for quite some time now with Speck ToughSkin case. seriously, GPS become a necessity for me now as i travel to work everyday from one state to another. discover new places and new roads everyday (well not really but it does help with shortcuts, lol). can't live without it. not only that, other feature i use the most is the travelling info screen - average travelling speed, fuel eco, time travelled, distance etc.. great stuff.
hope everyone enjoy using the unit as much as i do :thumbsup:
You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do in the Discovery Channel!

mcmc

Postby mcmc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:48 pm

yuloon wrote:anyway, i am doubt about the variety types of softwares and map versions available in this link, is it all the softwares and map version will integrated by itself without delete the old maps and softwares? sorry for giving troublesome to u all by asking this question. hope i can contribute to this link as well after i learn from u all and contribute in sarawak and sabah maps as i will travel around when i have a long holiday in end of the year. thanks for the reply!

:welcome:
Please be more specific on your question. As for now, the map with all its icons are integrated in the map as one file, namely gmapsupp.img.

Hulk

Postby Hulk » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:08 am

Konichiwa!!

New here & will learn as much as possible in due time. Will be an active member & contributor as I did with other automobile forum.

Was still exited about my Nuvi 205 I got recently. Was exited to see forumers from Ipoh as well. Count me in dude. 8-)

Return to “Newbie Lounge”