Currently, MFM map installer able to generate MFM map sets for MapSource and Garmin GPS devices / software with 2 map display customizations, i.e. Full Customization and Original Roads / Custom POI Only for user selection. The setting of map display customization is not saved in individual map tiles, instead it is saved in a custom TYP file, i.e. MFMFC.typ for Full Customization and MFMPC.typ for Original Roads / Custom POI Only Customization. These 2 custom TYP files can be located in folder C:\Garmin\Malfreemaps. However, only one of them is used by MapSource and to combine with individual map tiles to form the gmapsupp.img map set. Which TYP file will be used depend on user selection during map set installation.
Can I customize MFM map display to my own preference on MapSource and Garmin GPS devices / software?
The answer is YES. What you need to do is just edit the MFM custom TYP file to your own display customization setting.
Here is a guide on how to edit the MFM custom TYP file with online TYP file editor. You can customize the display of the following types of map element with this online editor:
a) POIs - Customize images for day and night display.
b) Lines (roads, highways, streams, ....) – Customize width, border, pattern and colors for day and night display.
c) Polygons – Customize draw order, pattern and color for day and night display.
Detail Step-by-Step Guide:
1) Install MFM map set in the folder C:\Garmin\Malfreemaps.
2) Edit MFM custom TYP file/s, ie MFMFC.typ and/or MFMPC.typ (located in C:\Garmin\Malfreemaps).
- a) Open MFM custom TYP file/s with this Online Editor for Garmin TYP Files. Please follow below guideline to determine which TYP file to be edited.
- MapSourece => Full Customization & gmapsupp.img => Full Customization, then edit MFMFC.typ only.
- MapSourece => Full Customization & gmapsupp.img => Road POI Only, then edit both MFMFC.typ & MFMPC.typ.
- MapSourece => Original Roads & gmapsupp.img => Full Customization. then edit both MFMFC.typ & MFMPC.typ.
- MapSourece => Original Roads & gmapsupp.img => Road POI Only, then edit MFMPC.typ only.
The online editor divides the custom TYP file into 4 sections, i.e. i) Header; ii) Polygons; iii) Lines & iv) Points / POIs.
b) Header Section - Do not alter any setting under this section.