i-Blue 747 GPS Data Logger - A short Review

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
NoX

i-Blue 747 GPS Data Logger - A short Review

Postby NoX » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:40 pm

i-Blue 747 GPS Data Logger Review.

After almost a week of waiting, finally the package arrived from Hong Kong. The box looks like it had taken some beating, as expected for a parcel service but its content intact.

What's in the box ?

A GPS Data logger, Cigarette lighter cable, USB cable, mains charger, battery, Software CD and Quick start manual.

What is a GPS Data logger ?

Right, now the hard part. GPS Data logger is a GPS Receiver which store internally (logged) coordinates of its position as programmed by user. Its able to log once every second right to about once every 15 minutes. This particular model can store internally up to 150,000 points.., if its programmed at its highest rate then it will be 150,000 second for the memory to be full.

For specification see here

The i-blue 747 Logger is a self contained logger and its also a GPS receiver which gives Bluetooth output for PDA's, H/P or PC for navigation software. The size of this unit is slightly bigger then the zippo lighter. Connection to PC for data logged download and configuration is via USB or Bluetooth, the later is a much better option.

On ebay it was listed as 16 MB internal memory, however upon receiving I found that its the later version with 32 MB, if 16 then it could only store 100,000 way points and no Blue tooth connection for log downloading and control except output of the GPS data for PC etc as a Nav only. The 32 MB units is a newer version having full Bluetooth control.

The i-blue 747 capable of logging by Time, Distance or Speed or combination of the 3 criteria together to create a rule.

Power supply ?

This model uses Nokia hand phone battery, so no problem with that. Car charger, household charger and USB charger. A spare battery is handy if you have intention of logging long hiking or biking trip.

There is a 3 position power switch on the left hand side, with OFF, NAV and LOG. In OFF the unit is dead, in NAV it give bluetooth output for other device, in LOG it will log your movement at the same time gives bluetooth output as in NAV. In NAV the bluetooh will goes into sleep mode if there are no bluetooth user, but in LOG it will not do that since its should operate in stand alone mode.

On the righ hand side there is a mini USB, this is for charging and connecting the device for download and configuration changes which is not necessary since the newer version capable of bluetooth for this except for charging.

What are the uses of this device ?

Lots of uses, my intention is to do mapping, so that I could contribute to mapping sites, their requirement is that a logger must be able to log at 1 second interval. This one fit the bill, with a bit of a hack its capable to do 5 times per second logging. Its not necessary since this unit is capable of recording as distance travel, set it at 5 meter interval and you'll have a very accurate log.

Another uses is photo geo tagging, carry this logger with you while using your camera, get back to your PC, use the software provided, your photo will be Geo Tagged and upload to Picasa or other online photo server, those photo will be displayed as where you snapped them - smart isn't it, not really. What happen is the GPS will logged your position with Lat/Long and Time stamp, the digital camera will do time stamp on each photo,, the software wil corelate the two and stamp a Lat/Long on the photo EXIF tag.

Person tracking, put this in your kids (wife) hand bag and see where they go..., after they get back of course, handy to check your kids driving whether they speed or not.

Other uses as a GPS receiver for your Notebook, PDA's, Phones, etc.

How does it perform ?

I'm impressed with such a low cost device, it is very accurate, out of the box with battery in and switch on the unit aquire satellite in roughly 30 seconds and maintain it rock steady, even inside buildings. It uses the newer MTK chip set which could track up to 51 satellite, but 31 or 20 is a good figure. It's have a very low power consumption, on a full charge it could be use for about 30 hours.

I'm using this unit for mapping, since I already have the Garmin Nuvi for navigation, this logger is a low cost addition to do that. Garmin handheld unit like the 60Csx cost about RM 1999.00, it will be a waste for my usage since I am not going jungle tracking just street plotting.

Below is a sample plot, I took from my house to the Subang wet market, I export the log to Garmin Mapsource and it shows perfect plot, only at one point where I forgot to switched it "ON" and when I do switch it,, the logging suddenly shows as a sudden jump. The sensitive receiver can pickup satellite signals from inside a backpack, pockets, even inside airplane as claimed. On my trials its pick up with the unit inside my trouser's pocket.

As a superbiker, one use is to logged your travel, the log can be directly display on google earth/map and you will be amazed to where the heck did you go...

Below another sample, this time on Google map showing my daily trip to work, on Google Earth is similar. There is a button on top, this if you press will insert a marker at that position, handy if you want to dog tagged a location, it will shows up on the map as a star or a red round donut.

Where to get one ?

Try here

Verdict ?

I am satisfied with this unit, for RM 250.00 inclusive S&H from Hong Kong,, its a steal.

NoX O:)
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

Kaizer

Re: i-Blue 747 GPS Data Logger - A short Review

Postby Kaizer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:48 pm

That's a pretty good price for something with alot of functions!

Definately will be next gadget when pocket allows.

kelvin5353
Valued Contributor
Location: Puchong Jaya (Nuvi 760 Mal/Sin Version + Nokia E71 Garmin XT)

Postby kelvin5353 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Can u share the website where can we buy at, bro Nox :-? :tq: planning 2 buy a CHEAP tracking device also :thumbsup:
One World , One Dream

rling

Postby rling » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 pm

kelvin5353 wrote:Can u share the website where can we buy at, bro Nox :-? :tq: planning 2 buy a CHEAP tracking device also :thumbsup:

Try e-bay, and search for either MTK or i-blue

NoX

Postby NoX » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:37 am

Kelvin5353 wrote:Can u share the website where can we buy at, bro Nox :-? :tq: planning 2 buy a CHEAP tracking device also :thumbsup:

Just before the last photo, try here

click on that "Here" you will be forwarded to it.

Just a bit of an update, on my last trip to Pekan Pahang, did some track log and the i-blue done a great job. See below link

viewtopic.php?p=3755#p3755

My credit card bill just arrived it cost me RM 249.90 and I'm happy with its capability, but I wish I have an Oregon :prayer:

NoX
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:13 am

NoX wrote:Just before the last photo, try here

Just a bit of an update, on my last trip to Pekan Pahang, did some track log and the i-blue done a great job. See below link

viewtopic.php?p=3755#p3755

My credit card bill just arrived it cost me RM 249.90 and I'm happy with its capability, but I wish I have an Oregon :prayer:

NoX

Hi NoX,

Impressive! I also intended to purchase a data logger for track contribution. Had check through Garmin 10X, Holux and others. I think the i-Blue you got is good deals.
How is you i-Blue GPS Data Logger working now. Just to confirm is there any limitation or problem you faced so far. If everything ok. I will place order through ebay. How long is take for the item to reach your hand after place order?

Thanks for your details introduction of this gadget in your first post. :thumbsup:
*Why still prefer Oregon??? :-k

:rox:

NoX

Postby NoX » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:36 pm

edchuang wrote:Hi NoX,

Impressive! I also intended to purchase a data logger for track contribution. Had check through Garmin 10X, Holux and others. I think the i-Blue you got is good deals.
How is you i-Blue GPS Data Logger working now. Just to confirm is there any limitation or problem you faced so far. If everything ok. I will place order through ebay. How long is take for the item to reach your hand after place order?

Thanks for your details introduction of this gadget in your first post. :thumbsup:
*Why still prefer Oregon??? :-k

I did few tracking, in Pekan for a newbie the track I made was a mess but that's not the fault of the i-blue.

The unit tracking is very accurate, just remember after switching it on leave it for about 1 minute to ensure best accuracy, the unit was place inside my car near the gear lever not anywhere near the dash... no problem.

As compare to Holux 5 second record, this unit can go to 1 sec,, and with a bit of a hack it can go to 5 hz.

I check the point to point distance at highway speed it record about every 250 ~ 350 feet. I've seen track made by Hilux or even the Sony its about 5x that.

During Pekan track, it consume 10% of memory, that about 5 days of tracking total more then 1000km, inclusive the Raya log of course.

The only problem is you will not be able to stop the track and start a new one, it just continue. So if you switch it off at point A then switch back on at point B, even its 100 km apart it will continue as the same track. However this can be rectify by the mapping software or what I did was to specified if I switch on the unit back after 30 min it will start a new track.

So, new track will start after unit off for few minutes (30/60 or more). I don't find this a problem much.

Unit work with Garmin MobilePC, GPSMapedit, Franson GPSGate, almost everything with blue tooth.

Fos such a price I would recommend it to everyone.

I wish for Oregon ??? I'm a superbiker..., the Nuvi just can't survive the ordeal, Oregon can do Nav and Track in one go.

Just for track log I recommend i-blue747

BTW it took 6 days to arrive in my mail box. Please order from that guy in my posting above, he's safe. Alternatively you can get it from Low Yat at RM 370.00

NoX
Last edited by NoX on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

9W2CBL
Polygon Mapper

Postby 9W2CBL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:43 pm

NoX wrote:Just before the last photo, try here

NoX

Hi Nox,

Your HERE is missing the link, could you link it again.

Cheers!
Common sense is instinct, and enough of it is genius
The avatar is design by Bro. Sulphur - Thanks!
Owned - nuvi200 (US Version), nuvi255W (TWN -> SGMY -> US -> TWN), Last MobileXT V5.00.60

NoX

Postby NoX » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:44 pm

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:58 pm

NoX wrote:http://stores.ebay.com/URANIUM99-STORE

:oops:

Thanks for the details information. :peace: Just placed order from him at ebay. :)

Kena Poison liao, hopefully can receive the item soonest. =P~

Return to “General GPS Forum”