Nuvi 800 Series

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
dklh80

Nuvi 800 Series

Postby dklh80 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:35 am

Hi everyone, I just bought the Garmin 860 from UK. It covers Europe similar to 265WT, only that it has traffic and a much more complicated system. Would anyone with an 8 series please help by giving some tips and tricks on the device which cannot be found on the Manual Guide. I and other users of similar devices would be very grateful for any feedback.

I would like to mention that I appreciate very much the people of this forum and those who contribute and use this forum properly. It is a blessing for all of us who want to use our devices in Malaysia.

It is such a shame that Garmin decided to surrender further development for the maps of Malaysia. Even though the number of users are a lot lower than the whole of Europe, but it is just not right that they offer to sell a product and not cover the world properly.

Thanks to everyone.

Kind regards,

Daniel Khoo

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: Garmin Nuvi 860T

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:25 am

FYI, Garmin does have map of Malaysia. Refer to:
http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapS ... t_Asia.jsp

Only US$150 :$gone:

Tan Ngan Piang

Nuvi 860

Postby Tan Ngan Piang » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi do anyone come accross the same problem with the search function of this unit Nuvi 860 When I press "Address icon" it reply a message "No Map Data Available" It happens on the SLA-Garmine map and MalFreeMap V1.61. However the old Malsing V2.29 was OK. I know there must be a setting or Map generation error on my side but could not manage to find out where and howto? There are no other map data on the data card, I have deleted all accept one left. appreciate If you could share your experience. :)

azraeil

Re: Nuvi 860

Postby azraeil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:01 pm

I have the same problem with my Nuvi 860. I cannot do an address search as it is giving me the No Map Data available error as well. Works fine with the City Navigator Middle East 2010.10 but not with MFM 1.64.

I'm downloading 1.68 and I'll report back if I encounter the same issues.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:05 pm

I'd suggest you to try transferring MFM maps via Mapsource and report back for any feedbacks.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Tan Ngan Piang

Postby Tan Ngan Piang » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:23 am

Hi Friend, thanks for the response, I realised that there is a very small incompatability with our Nuvi 860 (voice activation) sets to the standard Nuvi series sold in singapore. Though high-end set but no many user here because of the SG$ 1k more or less price tag.
nevertheless I did a small tweak and it works OK since and have made 4 trip to Penang Via: Muar, malacca, KL , PJ and Ipoh since with no problem.
If you wishes to try out too, please check that you do not have this file gmapsupp.img in your main memory first to avoid overwritten, I copied the the old Malsing Map v2.29 into the main memory and the Malfree map v1.61 into the SD card.
Please download Malfree map from Malfree website to your PC to generate your own garmine map.

Test it out on the Newly open KPE stretch of tunnel from paya lebar airport road to Tampinese expressway. It works on my Garmine set, the new updated Malfree 1.61 could navigate through this new stretch of road with good guidence.

Please let me know if it works on your set too.

azraeil

Postby azraeil » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:56 pm

Tan,

Thanks for the post. I tried sending the map via Mapsource and I still have the error message "No Map Data Available" when I do the address search.

So what you are saying is that I need to remove any file with the name gmapsupp.img from the main memory first before sending the datset back to the Nuvi 860? Do I do this via mapsource or just used the gmapsupp.img file that was generated when I installed the latest Malfreemaps?

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Postby fauzee » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:54 pm

azraeil wrote:Tan,

Thanks for the post. I tried sending the map via Mapsource and I still have the error message "No Map Data Available" when I do the address search.

So what you are saying is that I need to remove any file with the name gmapsupp.img from the main memory first before sending the datset back to the Nuvi 860? Do I do this via mapsource or just used the gmapsupp.img file that was generated when I installed the latest Malfreemaps?
Answer is YES

if u not familiar to sending with mapsource..just forget it!! make u :ko: :ko: why not use SD card..and put folder>Garmin>paste your Gmapsupp.img..if u don't wanna :frus: :frus: please delete gmapsupp.img in your internal memory..make you easier bro.. :thumbsup:
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Bro Fauzee, they are actually discussing an issue perculiar to the Nuvi8xx series. They had used GMAPSUPP.IMG generated by the installer but encountered the address search issue. So I'd reckon, it's a good idea to try all methods of generating GMAPSUPP.IMG including using Mapsource to send to device.

Bro Azraeil, do you have other maps in Nuvi, ie. MSM vX.XX perhaps? Just FYI, it's a known issue that there will be a conflict when using both MSM vX.XX and MFM "as is" in device.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Tan Ngan Piang

Postby Tan Ngan Piang » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi Azraeil, Sorry for not on the topic, I got abit tie up during weekend. I really hope to communicate by voice, it could be much easier and to avoid misinterpretation. Technically I found out the incompatibility of Nuvi 860 with the Nuvi 7xxseries, not only with the hardware but the compatibility using the Malsing / Malfree map for Garmine / PaPa Go.

However its a relief after found the WORKAROUND Method so that the set's can continue to use the better updated version of MALFREE MAP. New version Malfree Map is a better map, no doubt about it.

I got the opportunity to test it out at it recent IT shows at Suntec city Singapore after got piss off by my built in OEM set from VDO Daytone.

I will PM you to let you know Email address

Return to “GPS Devices”