Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
cazlex

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby cazlex » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi everyone!

Newbie here, just got my Nuvi200W US version from a friend.
The Nuvi i have comes preload with US map and just DL the MFM SG map and its working great! Kudos to all the pros here for the effort.

Just wanna ask all the pros out here.
Problem is i am going France soon so thinking of bringining my Nuvi with me.
Tried to DL free maps on internet but just cant seem to load it on my NUVI.

1. Can i just Upload the IMG file from my PC to my Nuvi just like that? Or do i have to use other 3rd party application?
2. Do i have to change the file name to gmapsupp.img for it to be recognize (original file name is osm-france.img)

Thanks for all the help!

ianchong48

Postby ianchong48 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:22 pm

cazlex wrote:Hi everyone!

2. Do i have to change the file name to gmapsupp.img for it to be recognize (original file name is osm-france.img)

1. Backup the original gmapsupp.img (or rename as "gmapsupp.xxx")
2. copy osm-france.img into SD card "GARMIN" subdirectory
3. Rename osm-france.img as "gmapsupp.img"

Start Nuvi and select the France map then ....

Reverse above to return to your original map setup ...

cazlex

Postby cazlex » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:25 pm

ianchong48 wrote:
cazlex wrote:Hi everyone!

1. Backup the original gmapsupp.img (or rename as "gmapsupp.xxx")
2. copy osm-france.img into SD card "GARMIN" subdirectory
3. Rename osm-france.img as "gmapsupp.img"

Start Nuvi and select the France map then ....

Reverse above to return to your original map setup ...

Hi there!
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Tried that but it din work. Cant even change my country to France.
Maybe i have DL the wrong IMG file. OR pros here can enlighten me how to go about getting the map for FRance?

Thanks in advance.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:35 pm

cazlex wrote:Hi there!
Maybe i have DL the wrong IMG file. OR pros here can enlighten me how to go about getting the map for FRance?

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked at Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info. Is the map listed there or not? If the map is listed there, you might have to simulate your location nerarer to the map's geographical location before you can use the map's feature such as searching for POIs, etc. (try this first because the map might not support address search).
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

cazlex

Postby cazlex » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:25 pm

dvpro wrote:
cazlex wrote:Hi there!

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked at Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info. Is the map listed there or not? If the map is listed there, you might have to simulate your location nerarer to the map's geographical location before you can use the map's feature such as searching for POIs, etc. (try this first because the map might not support address search).

Hi there,
Just tried what you suggested.
Cant find the map under Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info.
Any other way out?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:28 pm

cazlex wrote:Hi there,
Just tried what you suggested.
Cant find the map under Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info.
Any other way out?

Can you share the link where you got the IMG from? Or try using the one from this site: http://fredericbonifas.free.fr/osm/garmin.html (download "osm-france-latest.img" and rename it to GMAPSUPP.IMG and follow previous advice or the one posted at the download site).
  • Download the map
  • Rename it gmapsupp.img
  • Plug the GPS unit in "mass storage mode" (Setup->Interface->USB Mass Storage)
  • Put the file gmapsupp.img in the Garmin directory (create the directory if it does not exist)
  • Unplug the GPS unit

cazlex

Postby cazlex » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:46 pm

dvpro wrote:
cazlex wrote:Hi there,
Can you share the link where you got the IMG from? Or try using the one from this site: http://fredericbonifas.free.fr/osm/garmin.html (download "osm-france-latest.img" and rename it to GMAPSUPP.IMG and follow previous advice or the one posted at the download site).
  • Download the map
  • Rename it gmapsupp.img
  • Plug the GPS unit in "mass storage mode" (Setup->Interface->USB Mass Storage)
  • Put the file gmapsupp.img in the Garmin directory (create the directory if it does not exist)
  • Unplug the GPS unit

Hi there,
Thanks for the help, here is the link:
http://gpsmapsearch.com/
Found it on the google and thought it is pretty good.

Ok i think i got the naming of file problem solved.
DVpro, thanks for the help, i manage to rename the file, upload it onto my SD card, found the map name under, Tools > Setting > Map > Map info

Just another question for u pros out there,
1. The map i DL is an OpenStreetMap (OSM) so that means there wun be any POIs and stuff?
2. An also one thing, i realise i can't use this function: Where to > Address > Change country > *type france*
That means i wun be able to "find" places when i am using the GPS in france like how i do when i am in SG? (cause i usually use that fn to key in the place i wanna go to)

PS: Am i asking in the wrong forum? Sorry if i am.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:07 am

cazlex wrote:1. The map i DL is an OpenStreetMap (OSM) so that means there wun be any POIs and stuff?

Not necessarily, map's feature depends on map's authoring and compiling, usually a free map at least contains roads and POIs.

cazlex wrote:2. An also one thing, i realise i can't use this function: Where to > Address > Change country > *type france*
That means i wun be able to "find" places when i am using the GPS in france like how i do when i am in SG? (cause i usually use that fn to key in the place i wanna go to)

Some maps do not support the address search feature, so the only way to search is via POIs search. If your GPS location is not anywhere in the map's coverage, it's best to simulate the GPS location within the map. Depending on the Nuvi's firmware, you can switch on simulation mode by either enabling simulation mode or turning off GPS in the system settings. Then use a combination of browsing and zooming out and in until you find the other map (usually outlined in a box), select a location and tap Set Loc. The vehicle icon will be placed at the selected location, depicting the simulated location. Then you can proceed with using the map's feature such as searching for POIs, calculating and simulating routes, etc. If you cannot do address search at this point, it means that the map does not support that feature.

cazlex

Postby cazlex » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:09 pm

dvpro wrote:
cazlex wrote:1. The map i DL is an OpenStreetMap (OSM) so that means there wun be any POIs and stuff?

Not necessarily, map's feature depends on map's authoring and compiling, usually a free map at least contains roads and POIs.

cazlex wrote:2. An also one thing, i realise i can't use this function: Where to > Address > Change country > *type france*

Some maps do not support the address search feature, so the only way to search is via POIs search. If your GPS location is not anywhere in the map's coverage, it's best to simulate the GPS location within the map. Depending on the Nuvi's firmware, you can switch on simulation mode by either enabling simulation mode or turning off GPS in the system settings. Then use a combination of browsing and zooming out and in until you find the other map (usually outlined in a box), select a location and tap Set Loc. The vehicle icon will be placed at the selected location, depicting the simulated location. Then you can proceed with using the map's feature such as searching for POIs, calculating and simulating routes, etc. If you cannot do address search at this point, it means that the map does not support that feature.

Hey! Finally get what u mean,
Thanks for all the help!

dominatorFD09

Postby dominatorFD09 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:00 am

Hi guys,

I downloaded a .GDB (POI) file and use mapsource to transfer the file to my nuvi 255W. But when I searched the filename in the SD card drive and main drive, I am unable to find the filename. May I know where does the filename installed to ?

Return to “Newbie Lounge”