Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
dominatorFD09

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dominatorFD09 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 am

Hi Dvpro,

Thanks for the reply. May I know what is the purpose for this trip log for?
dvpro wrote:
dominatorFD09 wrote:Please see attached picture. The blue line keep appearing on the map route. May I know what is that ?

That is Nuvis's automatic trip log (sorta like breadcrumb trail). To hide it, tap Tools > Settings > Map > Trip Log > Hide.

dominatorFD09 wrote:Secondly, When I off the GPS signal and simulate from 1 location to another, it tends to like unable to simulate and got hang like that.. anyone encounter this problem ?

I've never experienced this before, maybe others can comment on this.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 am

dominatorFD09 wrote:Hi Dvpro,

Trip log contains time and date, speed and location data of the recorded journey while using GPS. You can upload this data to Mapsource and view it there, and also save it for your record. Other uses include, (manually) backtracking a route where there are no GPS roads available.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

dominatorFD09

Postby dominatorFD09 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:12 am

Hi Dvpro,

Okay, noted your advice. I understand we can use mapsource to create route. So by creating route from point to point(Example: From Clementi MRT to Suntec city) and when we transfer the route to the nuvi, where can I locate the route? under 'favourite' ?

Secondly, does that mean in future if i want to drive from Clementi MRT to Suntec city, my nuvi will only route the direction which I create? If yes and if I happen to miss the route at one point, will it recalculate another route to the destination?

Please advise.

dvpro wrote:
dominatorFD09 wrote:Hi Dvpro,

Trip log contains time and date, speed and location data of the recorded journey while using GPS. You can upload this data to Mapsource and view it there, and also save it for your record. Other uses include, (manually) backtracking a route where there are no GPS roads available.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:28 am

@dominatorFD09

Sorry, can't help you with this one. I'm using Nuvi7xx series and the way it handles routes is different from Nuvi2xx series. Nuvi7xx series support up to 10 saved routes and with multiple via-points for each route (Nuvi2xx, no saved route, only 1 via-point). Whenever a route is sent to Nuvi7xx from Mapsource, it is saved in GPX folder. Then it can be imported into Routes page.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:24 am

Hi

hope someone can help me.

last nite, i did the following in the stated order

1) reinstalled mfm 1.63v into my nuvi255, everything went fine. backup files prior to installation (installation to mapsource on my pc then copied over the gmapsupp.img file to my nuvi)

2) installed mfm customised pois into my nuvi, everything went fine. backup files prior to installation. installed to garmin/poi folder. deleted old POI files prior to installation. (installation to mapsource on pc and then copied over relevant POI files to my nuvi).

3) installed garmin's latest firmware (or what they termed software) update - v2.60 to my nuvi. backup files prior to installation and after installation (directly installation to my nuvi as per instruction by garmin).

after the firmware update, i noticed my favourite POIs are all gone and instead i find Traffic Pois.

:shock: :shock: can someone enlightened me where i went wrong?
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 am

Hi

hope someone can help me.

last nite, i did the following in the stated order

1) reinstalled mfm 1.63v into my nuvi255, everything went fine. backup files prior to installation (installation to mapsource on my pc then copied over the gmapsupp.img file to my nuvi)

2) installed mfm customised pois into my nuvi, everything went fine. backup files prior to installation. installed to garmin/poi folder. deleted old POI files prior to installation. (installation to mapsource on pc and then copied over relevant POI files to my nuvi).

3) installed garmin's latest firmware (or what they termed software) update - v2.60 to my nuvi. backup files prior to installation and after installation (directly installation to my nuvi as per instruction by garmin).

after the firmware update, i noticed my favourite POIs are all gone and instead i find Traffic Pois. :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:

:ko: :ko: :shock: :shock: can someone enlightened me where i went wrong? :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

ps/: my unit is the localised version. i have disabled the preloaded maps and preloaded traffic pois that came with the purchase. so far everything was hunky dory until now. :cry: :cry:
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:39 am

thomashley wrote:...
after the firmware update, i noticed my favourite POIs are all gone and instead i find Traffic Pois. :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:

:ko: :ko: :shock: :shock: can someone enlightened me where i went wrong? :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

You should have backed up ?:\Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx. This is where your Favorites are stored.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:56 am

HI bro dvpro

thansk for the quick response.

yes, i did back up gpx folder. i actually copied all files and folders in my nuvi prior to each update or new installation.

i did look at my gpx folder after updating the firmware. aside from the current.gpx and temp.gpx file that has a changed "date modified", the rest seemed to be unchanged (based on date modified).

should i tend reinstate current.gpx and temp.gpx with the previous versions?

thanks

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:00 am

thomashley wrote:..

thanks

Yes. The previous version contains your previous favorites. The latter version contains only default Favorites from Garmin.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:18 am

dvpro wrote:
thomashley wrote:..

thanks

Yes. The previous version contains your previous favorites. The latter version contains only default Favorites from Garmin.

Hi bro dvpro

i also noticed that a file is missing : position.gpx. it was there prior to my firmware update and now it is no longer there. should i also reinstate this file?

thanks

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

Return to “Newbie Lounge”