Permanent Fund For malfreemaps.com

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Permanent Fund For malfreemaps.com

Postby moeyhc » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:28 pm

Dear All,

Please allow me the liberty of proposing a permanent fund for our site. Since our site is run on a voluntary basis and is giving out free maps the up keeping of this site lies strictly on our shoulder. The reality of monetary funding to continue our good work cannot be ignored. Sources of income in any from that do contradict our spirit of sharing should be welcome. These funding can be in the following forms :-

1) Direct donation from members
2) Advertisement from GPS or maps related businesses
3) Customized GPS maps for OEM or businesses
4) Corporate sponsorship

The control of these funds need careful planning. Most importantly MFM should not be pressured by the fund giver in any form to deviate from its main objectives. Hope this will open a new era of mapping by the community for the community.

Your thoughts on this matter is very much appreciated.

Thank you n.... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Re: Permanent Fund For malfreemaps.com

Postby tympg » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:56 pm

I would disagree with 2, 3 and 4 because it would then mean that we go down the same monetary path of MSM (allegedly :mrgreen: ). Which makes the MSM-MFM split pointless.

Well, maybe there's something in #2 to explore there, but we have to be careful how to go about it...
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:29 pm

tympg wrote:I would disagree with 2, 3 and 4 because it would then mean that we go down the same monetary path of MSM (allegedly :mrgreen: ). Which makes the MSM-MFM split pointless.

Well, maybe there's something in #2 to explore there, but we have to be careful how to go about it...

Agree with tympg! But preferable direct donation from fellow members.
:lol:

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Selling of MFM Decal or T-Shirt to get more fund maybe?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:46 pm

I think $5.00 to $10.00 per annual as member's fee is not too much to ask for and I believe most member can affort to pay.
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:49 pm

I think $5.00 to $10.00 per annual as member's fee is not too much to ask for and I believe most member can affort to pay.

I dun think we need that much money to maintain the hosting.

WeiQi00
Polygon Mapper

Postby WeiQi00 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 pm

doraemon wrote:

I dun think we need that much money to maintain the hosting.

Agree. :peace:
:thumbsup:Our maps are FREE but we need funds to keep this site going. Please support our HOSTING FUND =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for your support. :tq:

9W2CBL
Polygon Mapper

Postby 9W2CBL » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 pm

Selling MFM accessories such as big small Decal, T-Shirt, Caps or any other things would give support funding to such as Server subscription and or our mappers GPSMapedit subscriptions.

This is just my 2 cents of suggestion!
Common sense is instinct, and enough of it is genius
The avatar is design by Bro. Sulphur - Thanks!
Owned - nuvi200 (US Version), nuvi255W (TWN -> SGMY -> US -> TWN), Last MobileXT V5.00.60

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 am

9W2CBL wrote:Selling MFM accessories such as big small Decal, T-Shirt, Caps or any other things would give support funding to such as Server subscription and or our mappers GPSMapedit subscriptions.

This is just my 2 cents of suggestion!

100% support. :peace: Would like to have MFM stickers on my car. :rox:

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:01 am

This is one way we can raise fund, but the basic questions is not answered. Where to buy, who to buy, where to keep, how much to keep, who provide the money upfront, accounting for the money are just some teething problems facing any new business. Statistic:- only <200 Decals where sold in the last exercise... great sales isn't it?

Another important point to consider is the ability of MFM to keep up with technologies. Map will be more complicated in the future and I strongly believe the OEM will find ways to stop us from moving forward either by their hardware protections or thru' legal means. New protective hardware needs better mapping tools to overcome and these don't come FREE. From the legal stand point, we need to move our site to countries that allow us to operate legally. All these need substantial fund to operate. Only 'cash rich godfather' who support our course can see us through these challenges.

Selling MFM products together with members' donation will sustain our operation for now. Beyond sustainability, I couldn't see how we can match the new and powerful features of future generation of hardware that we see coming. We will remain to be a 'free usable GPS map' provider at best and our support will diminish with time. It is easy for us to 'ignore' the future now because MFM has free maps and it serve our needs perfectly. All business man thinks alike i.e. to eliminate any threats to their business and what's keeping THEM from doing it?

Moving forward, the fear of another split is real and can happen. Managing and up keeping our 'Constitution' on these businesses will be a challenge. If we chose to raise Permanent Fund, let's do it with a view for our Future.

Happy Deepavali n Holiday..... Cheers!
Last edited by moeyhc on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Return to “Community Hall”