I bought a new Garmin. How should I get started?

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

I bought a new Garmin. How should I get started?

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:02 pm

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new Garmin device :D

The Basics

1. Charge your device - new Garmin devices have only minimal battery power. Charge your device by connecting it to your PC using a USB cable or connect it to your car charger and drive around for an hour :mrgreen:

2. Read the Quick Guide and User Manual - you can download your device's manual from Garmin Manual Page & MobileXT Owner's Manual

3. Install Mapsource - Mapsource is a very useful software for route planning and transfer of favorites. It is not officially included with your Nuvi but you can get it from Garmin's website. Follow our How to install Mapsource guide.

4. Familiarize yourself with the Garmin files - In order not to accidentally delete an important file that may render your device unusable, learn what each Garmin file and folder is for. It is advisable to make a backup by copying these files into your PC.

5. Learn more about Garmin interface - Pay a visit to our Tips for first time Nuvi users topic to learn what you have missed out from Garmin's manual.

6. Update the map - There are 3 different maps covering Malaysia and Singapore. What map is preloaded in your device depends on which retailer you bought your device from. To check what map is currently in your device, follow this guide. It is advisable to backup your original map files before updating any map. If you want to update MFM-Garmin map, download the latest map and follow these instructions.

7. Join MFM - MFM map can be downloaded for free by unregistered guests. We do not keep info or goodies from non-members. However, you will have more fun sharing your GPS hobby and experience with fellow enthusiasts. Register as an MFM member to say "Hi" and ask questions at our Newbie Lounge.

Great, you are ready to go places \:D/

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: I bought a new Garmin. How should I get started?

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:22 pm

The Extras

1. Add custom POIs to your Garmin device - MFM-CPOI provides additional alerts or info such as speed traps and dangerous bends. Download it from MFM-CPOI link. A brief installation guide and FAQ is written on the first post.

2. Add topographic map to your Garmin device - If you need contour map for outdoor activities, download it from MFM-SRTM and MFM-SRTM-EM. A brief installation guide and FAQ is written on the first post.

3. Change your vehicle icon - Learn how to change your original arrow icon to your favorite car icon. Read our How to install & change Garmin vehicle icon guide.

4. Add more voice packs - Learn how to add and activate more voice packs to your Garmin device. Read our How to install & change Garmin voices guide.

5. Customize your keyboard layout - Garmin's original keyboard layout makes it difficult for search for address with "/" character. If you own a Nuvi 2x0/2x5/7x0/7x5 device, you can use our custom keyboard layout.

Satisfied with you Garmin now? \:D/

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: I bought a new Garmin. How should I get started?

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:30 pm

Get Involved

Akan datang.... :zzz:

Return to “Library”